What's new

"Conflict with VPN Server Settings" message

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elorimer

Part of the Furniture
Just at the moment I'm chasing some gremlins and while I'm at it maybe someone can educate me on something.

At this location my main router is an 87U that sits at 192.168.10.1. Its DHCP bool starts at .100. I have two other routers, an AC56U and a N66 as media bridges. Usually pixelserv is at 192.168.10.3.

So as to reach the WebGUI for the media bridge routers, I reserve for them a manual IP address of .4 and .5, respectively, in the manual list on the 87U.

I have noticed that I see a message on the DHCP page that "*In conflict with the VPN server settings:192.168.10.2-11". Often it will go away after a time, and the VPN server doesn't seem to have any issues.

Is this because I have the manual addresses of .4 and .5?
Why does pixelserv (or diversion) not have an issue with .3?
Do the two VPN servers actually sit on these .2-.11 addresses?

So what do you have listed on your settings for IP Pool Starting Address and IP Pool Ending Address, under Basic Config on the LAN page?

Edit: my next post shows this question is superfluous.

Last edited:
I’ve replicated it on my RT-AC68U.

My pool starts at .50, but I changed that to .3 and before I had even changed one of my devices to .3, I got the same message. So it’s not some spurious message.

This message is telling you that there is a conflict with the DHCP range used by the PPTP server.

Untitled.png

Thanks! I've never, in all these years, visited that page or activated that server. I knew someone would educate me.

So I expect this would also be a conflict in pixelserv were it running and that Diversion might not be checking for this. I'm not suggesting that it should.

So I expect this would also be a conflict in pixelserv were it running and that Diversion might not be checking for this. I'm not suggesting that it should.
The test is not very clever. It's literally just checking the LAN DHCP pool range against the PPTP address range (regardless of whether or not PPTP is being used).

I guess Asus never expected anyone to use 192.168.10.x as their LAN subnet... But I suppose the same could be said for the OpenVPN subnets 10.8.0.x and 10.16.0.x.

I guess it's just a "heads up" for the user to check his configuration. It would be better if the message made it clear it was talking about the PPTP server.

I guess Asus never expected anyone to use 192.168.10.x as their LAN subnet.
This is hard coded to the 10.x? If I used 192.168.30.x as my net this wouldn't happen?

I confess here I'm being lazy, as I could test this myself. But I'm chasing so many gremlins at the moment...