What's new

Conflicting IP - single client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mathieu

Regular Contributor
Hi all
This is a recurring issue which has persistently followed me through FW upgrades:
My A/V Receiver (Onkyo) offers a classical ethernet and wifi connectivity. I have managed to identify MAC address for each of them, and assigned each a static IP (outside DHCP range).
Now, owing to karma, or Nemesis - or most likely, kn0bness - the client frequently loses internet connection.
As I check the client list (Network Map / View list) I can see an entry for the client, whose name and MAC address match the reservation list, only it displays the other interface's IP.
Here's the client list:
Active Client List.png

Here's the DHCP Reservation (LAN / DHCP Server)

Reservation List.png

My preference is for wired connection, but obviously my definite preference is for something that works, albeit through wifi.
Has anyone encountered similar issues? Could you recommend a way to address this? Would writing a script (I'd have to come back to the community for help) that checks which connection is active beforehand and rejects the other help? I am skeptical about banning one of the interface altogether, as I am not sure wether the confusion lies at the router level or the client's (ie I prevent MAC of client's wifi to connect, but that's the hardwired connection which is banned. Or both...)

Thanks for your thoughts

Mathieu

Use the wired connection (dynamic or static)and disable wifi, you should be golden.

I mean disable wifi on the Onkyo. One more thing, your hostnames are very similar. That can cause problems as well.

cant see the pictures, only first part after minutes waiting.
Is there a problem with snb-forum right now, all pages loading extremly slow.

cant see the pictures, only first part after minutes waiting.
Is there a problem with snb-forum right now, all pages loading extremly slow.
Yes. I think Tim is having trouble with Cloudflare.

Thank you skeal for your suggestions.
I'll try and disable wifi on the Onkyo (pretty useless gui, so will just remove the antenna).
When you refer to hostnames, is that "OnkyoWifi" vs "TXNR838", or is it something else (those two seem fairly distinct - to me).

I'll try and disable wifi on the Onkyo (pretty useless gui, so will just remove the antenna).
Do not remove the antenna. Use of the amp without it's antenna will burn out the wifi hardware inside.

When you refer to hostnames, is that "OnkyoWifi" vs "TXNR838", or is it something else (those two seem fairly distinct - to me).
What I saw was Onkyowifi and onkyowifi that could cause a problem i'm not sure. If the network translates those two as onkyowifi then you will have two objects with the same hostname and that doesn't work or work well.

Do not remove the antenna. Use of the amp without it's antenna will burn out the wifi hardware inside.
correct, but what could he do?
grounded shielding over the antennas?

What I saw was Onkyowifi and onkyowifi that could cause a problem i'm not sure. If the network translates those two as onkyowifi then you will have two objects with the same hostname and that doesn't work or work well.
No, its twice the same: Onkyowifi

correct, but what could he do?
grounded shielding over the antennas?

No, its twice the same: Onkyowifi
If he is totally unable to disable the wifi....then use it as the primary connection.....disable or do not use cabled ethernet.

Gotcha. Thanks.
to skeal advising me on how not to burn the amp. I did worse and not proud...
skeal please tell me where you see 'onkyo wifi' (small caps)...

to skeal advising me on how not to burn the amp. I did worse and not proud...

skeal please tell me where you see 'onkyo wifi' (small caps)...
Oh well. I meant 'onkyowifi' with small cap first 'o' vs 'Onkyowifi'.
I shouldn't have that, but I can't see it either.

Oh well. I meant 'onkyowifi' with small cap first 'o' vs 'Onkyowifi'.
I shouldn't have that, but I can't see it either.
Mistake made by me. The hostname is not used twice. Sorry :oops: What I would do is try to get the amp to either forget your SSID or change your SSID so the amp can't login to it automatically. Then you should only see the ethernet connection TXNR838 to your router. (assuming that TXNR838 is your amps wired connection.

The same hostname on the same network isn't going to work like you think.
I did not intend to assign the same hostname to both. Perhaps that is because my initial message was not sufficiently clear.
The first screenshot is how the router reports the connected clients.
The second is from the DHCP page, how I pretend to have IPs assigned. Could it be where the confusion arose from?

I did not intend to assign the same hostname to both. Perhaps that is because my initial message was not sufficiently clear.
The first screenshot is how the router reports the connected clients.
The second is from the DHCP page, how I pretend to have IPs assigned. Could it be where the confusion arose from?
My question would be are you connecting a device (amp) two different ways? Example Wifi connected to your home network while also being connected by Ethernet at the same time. Nothing wrong with assigning IP's just as long as they are outside of your dhcp range.

Mistake made by me. The hostname is not used twice. Sorry :oops: What I would do is try to get the amp to either forget your SSID or change your SSID so the amp can't login to it automatically. Then you should only see the ethernet connection TXNR838 to your router. (assuming that TXNR838 is your amps wired connection.
Thank you skeal for your help. Thanks Grisu for the interest.
I will try that tomorrow.
Mathieu
P.S. snbforums is definitely under heavy conditions. Hope that's not hurricane related.

How does that work may I ask?
Last I checked unless it's faulty I never heard of removing antennas on devices causing it to fry.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!