What's new

Confused about which 24/28 port switch to buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

womenwill

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

A wonderful and blessed new years to all of you. I need to order a 24 or 28 port switch to use for my home IP camera setup.

My installer friend is helping me install them, but I have to provide the hardware. I currently have about 15 cameras but will scale up to close to 24, because we have a small warehouse for lawn equipment repairs etc as well.

The cameras run on PoE but if possible I would like a couple of PoE+ ports. My installer friend told me to buy one that has 1-2 SFP ports in case we need them in the future for a longer run or fiber .

I do not know much about level 2 vs level 3 etc. I primarily need it to route and operate my cameras, but some future proofing would be good. This is for home/home office use.

There are SO many brands, I have read similar posts on here, but not sure which brand/model to choose.

I prefer to buy one new than take a chance with a used one on EBay.

I heard that Cisco is very good, but expensive, I notice that this model or similar is popular on here...Cisco SG300.

Which brand/model would you recommend? I do not mind spending about $250, of course less is better. I am in the U.S.

Thank you

An unmanaged switch should work fine. But a "smart" or Layer 2 managed switch can provide flexibility you may want in the future like VLANs, port rate limiting, port statistics, etc.

You can buy based on warranty and price. Many business grade switches have limited lifetime warranties. But realize you usually need to return the broken switch before you get a new one. So the warranty might not be worth it.

NETGEAR and TP-Link have broad switch lines families with many models that should suit you just fine. Ciscos are expensive and not necessary.

Thank you

I saw this TP Link model posted here on another thread

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016M1QTS2/?tag=snbforums-20

TP-Link JetStream 24-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with 4-SFP Slots (T1600G-28TS/TL-SG2424)

But it seems like this one has just a 2 year warranty...are there other options with a 'better' warranty?

As mentioned, I do not mind spending up to $250 or so.

Thank you

Thank you Mr. Higgins.

This seems like a good option. Is there any similar option with maybe 1-2 SFP ports?

The SFP ports are not critical, but good to have if needed?

Thank you

Thank you Mr. Higgins.

This seems like a good option. Is there any similar option with maybe 1-2 SFP ports?

The SFP ports are not critical, but good to have if needed?

Thank you

How about this one? Seems that can meet your requirement. Enough SFP ports are good for future-proofing. ;)

Hello all,

Thanks you for the recommendations above. I think I will need a PoE switch with about 150-200 watts to power the cameras.

Someone told me about the TP Link switch. It is about $303 on Am**o*.

TP-Link JetStream 24-Port Gigabit Smart PoE+ Switch with 4-SFP Slots 192W (T1600G-28PS/TL-SG2424P)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196RGV50/?tag=snbforums-20

Is TP Link a reliable brand? Generally good quality?

Would you pick this over the Netgear NETGEAR GS724TPv2 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch by thiggins?

Thank you

thank you desperado836 that router is wow but too much for my budget. nice choice though!!!

I updated my choice and am now thinking of going with the

NETGEAR GS724TPv2 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch 24-Port 190W Power-over-Ethernet+ | ProSAFE Lifetime Protection

the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J24KX7/?tag=snbforums-20

My wi-fi routers at home (where this switch will be used) are also Netgear branded, will this help with setup and or compatibility if I buy the Netgear switch?

Any thoughts?

maybe, but not necessarily.
You can also buy POE injectors as standalone devices in case you need more power or coverage than the switch will support.

Yeah, like I said, at $500 more than what I paid for it, looks like someone is trying to rip folks off. A towel party is in order for clowns like that in my opinion...

If you are setting cameras up I would lock them down security wise. You do not want people watching or recording your cameras. I would run in separate VLAN with locked down internet IP addresses, maybe no internet access.

I use POE injectors for my Cisco wireless access points. IT is easier to match injectors to the equipment than the switch especially over time as power requirements change. Plus power supplies need to be really large in switches to support POE vs not.

I think any POE switch with POE+ as an option would be fine. I wouldn't worry about the spf unless you have access to a fibre optic run somewhere that you plan to use.

Just buy the switch that supports the cameras you plan to use or buy. If something changes in the future (like even a new standard) you can always use injectors.

I ended up buying a Cisco SG300-10MPP switch because I changed wireless APs and I needed POE+ power. Rather than buying 3 power injectors I decided to buy a switch.

Sounds like that one even covers the sfp requirement. :)

But I hope you're not running the cameras over wireless--those are waaaay too easy to jam.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online