What's new

Congested home wifi environment?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Natey2

Regular Contributor
WiFi Analyzer picking up very many (neighbors) WiFi channels.
Lots of channel collisions.
What's your home WiFi environment looking like?
wifi_networks.jpg

Why do you ask? Do you not believe what the app is showing you?

Last edited:
WiFi Analyzer picking up very many (neighbors) WiFi channels.
Lots of channel collisions.
What's your home WiFi environment looking like?

I hope you're not expecting to find a completely clear frequency range dedicated for your use?

What you're seeing looks like just about any apartment building or major city residence. If you are having speed issues there are some things you can try, but the technology these days is designed to share the spectrum and generally even in a RF packed environment like that you can get decent speeds.

What concerns me about that picture is not the number of detected SSIDs but their signal strength. I can see a whole lot of neighboring SSIDs from my house, but their RSSI is generally -60dBm or less; below -80dBm they are not a factor at all (at least, per FCC regs you don't need to yield the air to something you can only hear at -80). I hope the SSIDs up close to -20dBm are @Natey2's own gear, because those APs practically have to be in the same room with him to read that high. The number that are above -40dBm seems like it's likely to be a problem.

What concerns me about that picture is not the number of detected SSIDs but their signal strength. I can see a whole lot of neighboring SSIDs from my house, but their RSSI is generally -60dBm or less; below -80dBm they are not a factor at all (at least, per FCC regs you don't need to yield the air to something you can only hear at -80). I hope the SSIDs up close to -20dBm are @Natey2's own gear, because those APs practically have to be in the same room with him to read that high. The number that are above -40dBm seems like it's likely to be a problem.
I have a RT-AX92U and I just got a 5G cellular modem upstairs in separate rooms.
I don't recognize the names of most of the networks: must be neighbors.
There are no routers in my living room/downstairs where I got the channel graph from.
I live in a single family detached house with no shared walls with neighbors.

It would have been more useful if you hadn't blocked out the names of the SSIDs. That can give clues as to what's going on. For example, around me I can see quite a few Wi-Fi Direct SSIDs for printers, smart TVs, etc.

That's what it looks like in a condo or apartment complex especially larger ones with steel and concrete outer walls. They hold the signal in very nicely.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!