What's new

Connect 2 locations over vpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sam_semillia

New Around Here
Hi,

I am running 2 Asus Routers (RT-AC88U and RT-AX88U) on 2 different geographical locations. Both routers running ASUSWRT-Merlin 384.19_0.
Both routers are running a running DHCP server for their respective location: 1392.168.1.0/24 for first location and 192.168.2.0/24 for second location.
Please see atatched network diagram for details:

Netzwerk VPN.png

What I now would like to accomplish via VPN is the following:

1. Clients should be able to connect to each other by IP
    1. IE: 192.168.1.199 should be able to connect to 192.168.2.150 and vice versa.
  2. Clients should be able to connect to each other by NAME
    1. IE: Clientname2 should be able to connect to Client123 and vice versa.
Can someone please help me?

Thanks and BR

Just configure the OpenVPN server and client as you'd expect for a unidirectional tunnel. But in the case of the OpenVPN server, in order to make it "site to site" (i.e., bidirectional), you'll want to add under the Manage Client Specific Options, an entry for 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0, using the CN (Common Name) as specified on the OpenVPN client's cert. Do NOT push it, just specify it.

You can check this thread as well;

By now, I came so far:

Server:

Server_0.png
Server_1.png
Server_2.png

Client:

Client_1.png
Client_2.png

Now I can connect via IP to IP!
But I can not conenct NAME to NAME?!

Anything I am missing out here?

Thanks, BR

Name resolution will only work if the tunnel's network interface name (e.g., tun21) is added to DNSMasq. IOW, DNSMasq by default is NOT listening to that network interface, only the default network (br0).

Code:
interface=tun*

The '*' is a wildcard, which makes things a bit simpler. But you could specify tun21 specifically if you are sure this is correct.

You need to add that line to the DNSMasq config using a custom config file.

Thanks! But do I need to add it on client or on server side?

I DO not have any file in folder /jffs/configs! However, I'll create dnsmasq.conf.add with a single line:
interface=tun*

Is that correct?

Thanks a lot!
BR Franz

Thanks! But do I need to add it on client or on server side?

I DO not have any file in folder /jffs/configs! However, I'll create dnsmasq.conf.add with a single line:
interface=tun*

Is that correct?

Thanks a lot!
BR Franz

I'm assuming the OpenVPN server is NOT adding its own network interface name to DNSMasq, but to be honest, I've never checked if that's the actually case. If it is, then name resolution should work client to server. But it's seem unlikely the OpenVPN client would similarly and automatically add its own network interface (e.g., tun11) to DNSMasq on its side. And so the problem may only exist in one direction, server to client.

In order to use custom scripts and/or config files, you need to enable JFFS and JFFS custom scripts under Administration->System. And if necessary, create the /jffs/config directory to contain the file w/ the configuration changes.

I added file "dnsmasq.conf.add" in folder "/jffs/configs" in Server, set "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" to "YES" and rebooted.

Still, server to client does not work to acces the network via the NAME. Any other ideas? :/

Thanks for your efforts!

Br

In order for the server to access the DNS server of the client, the *client* must have its tunnel's network interface name added (tun21 tun22, etc., or tun*) to DNSMasq on its side. I just checked, and by default, the OpenVPN client definitely doesn't do this by default.

One other thing. The server also has to know to use the DNS server on the client side when those devices are referenced. You typically do this by adding a server directive to DNSMasq on the server side that directs queries to the client's DNS server based on the domain name used by the client.

Code:
server=/client_side_domain/192.168.2.1

I don't recall you taking this step.

The reverse is also true. The client needs to know to use the DNS server on the server side when those devices are referenced. Similarly, you add that directive to DSNMasq on the client side.

Code:
server=/server_side_domain/192.168.1.1

If that wasn't complicated enough, DNSMasq is typically configured to prevent rebind attacks, which means it won't accept queries that return IPs in the private IP space! So you also need to add exceptions for those as well in DNSMasq.

Code:
# client side
rebind-domain-ok=server_side_domain

Code:
# server side
rebind-domain-ok=client_side_domain

Yes, setting up DNS across a site-to-site tunnel is trickery than you might expect.

Last edited:
Btw, did you push the DNS server on the server side to the client? In a normal site-to-site config, this is NOT what you would do. And if client to server is working, this may be the reason.

Yes, setting up DNS across a site-to-site tunnel is trickery than you might expect.
indeed it is... :D That's what the files and the setups currently look like:

DNSMASQ
dnsmasq.png

Server
server.png

Client
client.png

Is that correct?

BTW: With this configuration, a SERVER side computer can NOT PING any computer from the CLIENT side.

Thanks BR

Last edited:
I added domains to the respective networks:
Server: VOE
Client: OBW

Then I changed the config files to:

CLIENT
/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
interface=tun*
server=/voe/192.168.1.1
rebind-domain-ok=voe

--> service restart_dnsmasq

SERVER
/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
interface=tun*
server=/obw/192.168.2.1
rebind-domain-ok=obw

-->service restart_dnsmasq

Now, I can go from client to server, but NOT from server to client :(

Thanks so far, you already helped me a lot!
Looking forward for your ideas for the remaining problem :)

Thanks, BR

As I said before, in a site-to-site config, you do NOT push the server's DNS server to the client. That creates a circular reference! The client is trying to resolve its own names by referencing back to the server's DNS server. And according to your images, you appear to be doing just that; pushing the server's DNS server to the client (Advertise DNS to clients).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!