What's new

Connect at the router in ssh via OpenVpn

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StefanoN

Regular Contributor
Hi
When I'm out of my home but I’m connected at my lan (RT-AC86U with firmware 386.3 beta) via OpenVpn I cannot connect at the router in ssh mode. Where am I wrong ?

Thanks

This can happen when your local home network has the same range as the LAN of the remote site (e.g. both are 192.168.1.0/24). So, when you try to connect to 192.168.1.1 while being connected via OpenVPN, it tries to connect to that IP in the remote LAN, not your home LAN.

No, the lan home subnet is different to the OpenVpn lan.

I'm trying to think the path through, and it sounds like some routes might need to be defined to make sure the router's LAN address (in my case, 192.168.50.1) knows to now route through OpenVPN, but might that possibly mess up your various LAN nodes' access to the router?

Using OpenVpn the router is reachable from the web page, but not ssh. Today I wanted to connect to the jffs partition using ssh software but couldn't. The NAS were reachable in ssh, only the router (192.168.1.1) was excluded.

It works for me with 386.2_6. I see you're using the new beta firmware that has a new implementation of VPN routing, maybe that's the reason. Either go back to the non-beta version or report it in the beta thread.

Do your NAS devices allow outbound SSH in addition to inbound? If so, could you not login to one of them, and then login to the router? From there, you might be able to find out enough details to solve the issue or at least to gather data to post to the beta thread as ColinTaylor suggests.

Thanks
if I connect to the nas and from this I connect to the router I can. only direct ssh connection to the router does not work.

Hi
With The beta2 the problem no longer exists.

Thanks to all.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!