What's new

Connect FC to Existing Ethernet LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdusseau

New Around Here
I posted this in switches because my primary question regards the capability of switch vs what I would like to setup.

I've attached simple map of my setup. The only real component missing is the connection that the switch would provide from the OpenFiler box to the existing ethernet LAN via FC.

Now I am brand new to the FC area, so I'm not even sure what I want here is possible. Is my switch (or any other) capable of allowing clients on an ethernet LAN the ability to read from a share hosted on the OpenFiler box via FC? I realize that I could forgo FC and use ethernet, but the whole purpose of this was to widen the bottleneck I currently get by using ethernet from storage to LAN.

Any input is appreciated, questions ofc are welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 558
I don't think you can do what you want with the 3COM switch. FC over Ethernet does exist, but it ain't cheap.

I don't think you can do what you want with the 3COM switch. FC over Ethernet does exist, but it ain't cheap.

So basically, unless my budget allows it, which it probably wont, I'm stuck with needing a DAS server to convert the FC share to and ethernet share, which keeps the same bottleneck I was trying to eliminate :(

One question though, why purpose do the SFP ports on the switch serve then? Just to connect FC to FC?

In Ethernet switches, SFP modules are usually there for media conversion, usually for different flavors of fiber for 10 GbE.

For FC connection, you need protocol and media conversion. SFP modules don't do protocol conversion.

In Ethernet switches, SFP modules are usually there for media conversion, usually for different flavors of fiber for 10 GbE.

For FC connection, you need protocol and media conversion. SFP modules don't do protocol conversion.

Okay so would you think my next best option is to use interface bonding with my openfiler system? I've read that it is supported. That should increase the "width of the stream" right?

My biggest issue is that I need a wider "stream" for data since my client capacity has gone up.

Thanks

Yes that would be best. Dell's tech specs say the integrated NIC supports load balancing.

That 3Com switch only supports gigabit, even on the SFP ports, so the next step up in performance would require you to replace the switch and the NIC on the server.

Yes that would be best. Dell's tech specs say the integrated NIC supports load balancing.

That 3Com switch only supports gigabit, even on the SFP ports, so the next step up in performance would require you to replace the switch and the NIC on the server.

That shouldn't inhibit my load balancing though should it? If I have 2 nics feeding into the switch, each at 1Gbps the rest of the clients pulling off the switch should, ideally, be able to pull 2Gbps total from the server?

I know I'll have to upgrade hardware eventually, but if I can double my capacity from 1Gbps to 2Gbps that will help a lot for the time being.

BTW thanks so much, I've already learned more from the few posts from users here than I did in googling for a day.

Using aggregated Gigabit NICs will give you 2000 Mbps in each direction.

Keep in mind that link aggregation doesn't help for large file transfers. But for multiple clients hitting the server with short transfers it should help...if your NAS can keep up.

Using aggregated Gigabit NICs will give you 2000 Mbps in each direction.

Keep in mind that link aggregation doesn't help for large file transfers. But for multiple clients hitting the server with short transfers it should help...if your NAS can keep up.

Well I am running 15k SAS in RAID 6, I'm thinking the array should be able to keep up. I'm running with 16GB RAM, but plan on increasing that.

In openfiler I get two load balancing options, alb and tlb. I'm thinking that since I need primarily speed for reading that I should use tlb.

Another issue I may have is if I need to use second switch, I'd need 2 more nics for that to maintain the 2Gbps capacity for that switch (assuming i cant aggregate ports on the switch).

EDIT:

I've changed my plan, and opened a more appropriate thread for the revised plan:

1 Server 3 Switches, MAXIMUM Bandwidth

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!