What's new

Connect Media Bridge to router in AP mode ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BilboBagginz

New Around Here
Dumb question of the day ..

Currently running AC86U as Media Bridge ( basement) connected to my AX86U ( router main floor) .. ( both running Merlin)
I want to move to my new OPNSense router ( that has no wifi) , so naturally I want to use my routers for wireless ..
If it were just one router , then I'd put the AX into AP mode and use the LAN port to the OPNSense ... I don't' not want double NAT .. etc..I want all router function on the OPNSense appliance ..
However I need to extend my wifi .. .. From what I can see I can't connect a media bridge to the AX in AP mode ?
I'm sure there is simple solution that eludes me .. and thus I am here , asking for some sage advice .

Last edited:
However I need to extend my wifi .. .. From what I can see I can't connect a media bridge to the AX in AP mode ?

Media Bridge doesn't serve Wi-Fi clients and doesn't extend your Wi-Fi. It can be connected to your AX86U in AP Mode though, no problem.

Your issue is Guest Network - home routers don't support VLANs*. The available Guest Network in AP Mode has no separation from the main LAN.

* - in GUI at least. You have to use custom scripts, model specific.

Media Bridge doesn't serve Wi-Fi clients and doesn't extend your Wi-Fi. It can be connected to your AX86U in AP Mode though, no problem.

Your issue is Guest Network - home routers don't support VLANs*. The available Guest Network in AP Mode has no separation from the main LAN.

* - in GUI at least. You have to use custom scripts, model specific.

Thanks ,
DOh.. "extended wifi" yes , of course I mis spoke /typed.. I implemented it to increase speed to the devices in my basement that had poor performance over wifi .. ( works very well )
I can connect a media bridge to my AX running in AP mode ? I know this question may have seemed lazy.. but I haven't been albe to experiment .. ( as I'm on the road) so I have been reading whatever I can find on the subject to prepare.. and it seemed that it was not possible ..
RE: Guest network lack of separation .. .. thanks for pointing that out .. something I had not even thought of .

Last edited:
can connect a media bridge to my AX in AP mode ?

You can connect your Media Bridge (Asus likes to invent names - it's a Wireless Bridge) to any parent AP. It doesn't care if the device has a router part in it and the parent AP doesn't have to be another Asus device.

I've got considerable experience with running XT8 and ET8 units in media bridge mode with a parent XT8 in AP mode. It does work ... mostly. I've had some trouble with specific combinations of firmware versions acting squirrelly (failing to pass data to the wired devices behind them), but once you get a working setup they are pretty solid.

Sadly, I'm less convinced by @Tech9's claim that you can use ASUS units in media bridge mode with a parent AP that's not ASUS gear. I've tried that repeatedly, and it flat out does not work for me with a Zyxel parent AP. Maybe there are other combinations that do work, but don't assume that it will before you've tried it.

It works with my non-Asus APs with no issues. It will work with AX86U in AP Mode for sure.