1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Connect PC and NAS with network.

Discussion in 'Other LAN and WAN' started by Michał Piotr Stankiewicz, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michał Piotr Stankiewicz

Michał Piotr Stankiewicz New Around Here

I have a PC, I want to buy NAS and connect both to network.

I was just wandering, if it is possible to:

Connect NAS and PC directly by Ethernet (10 Gbps)
    Connect NAS to switch with 2 Ethernet cables (each 1 Gbps)
    Connect PC to switch with 1 Ethernet cable (each 1 Gbps)

And if yes, how to do it? For example do I need managed switch?

2. AD1242

AD1242 New Around Here

need more info.
    how does your pc connect to the internet for the moment? do you have a router?

3. Michał Piotr Stankiewicz

Michał Piotr Stankiewicz New Around Here

The PC has 2 Ethernet cards. One is build in into mother boards (Asus x470f) other one is Asus xg-c100c. I connect it into switch from Asus xg-c100c card. Switch is connected to ISP provided router-switch-modem-access_point, the typical all-in-one router with DSL/FIBER modem.

Current situation:
    PC |card from MOBO|
    ....|asus xg-c100c......| --------------- 10G SWITCH ----------------- ROUTER

PLAN 1:
    PC |card from MOBO| ------------------ SWITCH ----------------- ROUTER
    .....|asus xg-c100c......|................................|
    ..........................|....................................... |
    ..........................---------------------------- NAS

PLAN 2:
    PC |card from MOBO|
    ...................................................................| | | | (bonding?)
    ......................................................................NAS

PLAN 3:
    PC |card from MOBO|
    ......................................................................|
    ...........................................................NAS with 10G card

Current switch is cheapo I bought used from coworker, I would need to buy new one anyway.
    In network there are many other devices (3 laptops, 3 consoles, TV, printer and smarthones and one Intel NUC working 24/7). The diagram shows only switch/router/PC/NAS.

I do not like what ISP has provided me, but the only other option is to use it, turn off wi-fi and use my own router, but that would create problems like double NAT, so I would probably opt from it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

A double NAT isn't a problem for most people so don't rule it out. The only thing that is difficult/ impossible is if you want to run a VPN server on the router behind your ISP's provided hardware.