What's new

Connect Router (for vpn use) with DSL Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

milio

New Around Here
Hi I need some help.

I have an ASUS DSL-AC56U modem/router and I try to connect an ASUS RT-AC87U router. It`s not working. It works only if I use the router as an access point where it doesn`t have vpn options.

I have my modem with ip 192.168.1.1 and my router with ip 192.168.1.2.

When I try to use my router as a router it doesn`t have internet.

I installed the latest merlin version for RT-AC87U.

Thanks in advance.

Dimitris.

Hi again, if I replace my modem ASUS DSL-AC56U with DSL-AC88U should I use again bridge mode or it can work with another way (see 1st post), and finally will I have any effort in adsl speed or anywhere else? I`m asking that because a friend sells one 88U modem in a good price.

Thanks a lot.

Hi again, if I replace my modem ASUS DSL-AC56U with DSL-AC88U should I use again bridge mode
Yes.
or it can work with another way (see 1st post),
No.***
and finally will I have any effort in adsl speed or anywhere else?
No.
I`m asking that because a friend sells one 88U modem in a good price.
There is no point buying a DSL-AC88U if you are only going to use it as a modem, unless you have VDSL2 or G.fast.

*** Can you replace both the DSL-AC56U and the RT-AC87U with just the DSL-AC88U???

Last edited:
Thanks a lot my friend, I use vpn for specific devices at home so I need to have a router with merlin firmware.

Dimitris.

Thanks a lot my friend, I use vpn for specific devices at home so I need to have a router with merlin firmware.

Dimitris.
I have a GPON Fiberhome modem/router supplied by my ISP. It is a POS.. Firmware is limited and the router cpu has a lot to be desired. I also set it to bridge mode and use it just as a modem. I have three routers connected to it. I also disabled the radio and DHCP. As a result, if I ever need to connect to it, I have to set the static IP in my laptop LAN adapter and connect to it via ETH. This has been working great for my use case.

FYI, there is also two other ways to cascade routers together. These are described here.

http://www.wikihow.com/Cascade-Routers
http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-article?articleNum=132275

I did this initially when I was still learning about it. I used the LAN to WAN connection and ran OpenVPN on the router that was cascaded to the modem/router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!