What's new

Connect Samsung TV with WNDR4000 and DAP-1522

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dmlaero

Occasional Visitor
I've been trying to get my Samsung TV (UN55C8000) connected to the internet without any success. When I do the network test on the TV, I get different failures depending on the setup I use. If I use the auto network config, I get an IP failure (maybe because the TV isn't getting a DHCP assignment?). If I manually insert my network settings for the TV (IP, subnet, gateway, dns) I get a gateway ping failure.

My setup is as follows:

Motorola SB6121 cable modem (192.168.100.1)
Netgear WNDR4000 router (192.168.1.1)
D-Link DAP-1522 wireless bridge (192.168.1.51)

I'm running WPA2 security on the wireless network

The DAP-1522 has a good connection to the router as verified by a PS3 and Dish receiver that have internet connectivity through it. I have also hooked a laptop up to the wireless bridge via ethernet cable to verify it can connect to the internet through it.

I'm completely at a dead end and need help.

Oh wow, Niice TV!

Anyways, Does the TV have UPnP option?
I had an issue connecting my LG set to Wifi, but manually inputting IP configs did the trick for me. Try inputting the TVs' IP address as 192.168.1.2 or the next host IP after the Router.

Thanks...I like it a lot, but would like it even more if it would connect! It has a plug and play menu, but it is grayed out. 192.168.1.2 is taken by another device, but I tried 192.168.1.10 and it still didn't work.

Right now my manual settings are:
IP 192.168.1.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

Try setting the DNS to: 8.8.8.8 secondary: 8.8.4.4 or whatever DNS server you want, outside of the 192.168.1.1

Just tried the 8.8.8.8 DNS. No luck. Since I'm getting a gateway ping failure, I don't think the TV is even seeing the internet so I'm thinking the DNS probably isn't even a potential problem yet. It seems like the TV can't see the router through through the wireless switch for some reason.

You confirm a link light on the AP when you connected the TV? A solid cable connection is easy to overlook when you have a face full of cobwebs.

MAC filtering on your router?

On my Asus RT56U unit, adding the MAC of any Bridges used is encouraged.
Do you have that on your units?

As for adding settings, I'd suggest opening up your units -as in shut all Security functions down, then try to reconnect everything, again.

I don't typically get a solid light on the front of the DAP-1522 for the TV port. It has been on solid before, but typically it flashes once every couple seconds. When I set the TV network settings to auto, the IP fills in as 169.254.67.11 and the subnet as 255.255.0.0.

I don't think the router has MAC filtering, but I haven't seen a setting like that on it. The DAP-1522 has a MAC cloning option, but it is currently disabled.

The only spot I can see in the WNDA4000 to configure for MAC addresses is in a Wireless Card Access List. That feature is currently disabled.

I've tried to disable all wireless security, but that didn't seem to help previously. I've been through so many iterations and combinations of settings...

Don't enable MAC filtering. Some people whitelist and promptly forget about it.

If you have made a bunch of changes, it's a good idea to confirm that the bridge still works. Cable in the laptop to the bridge and check Internet connectivity.

Your troubleshooting steps taken in the first post were on the right track.

I would:

1) Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the TV and try to configure the IP; this is to get a clear picture of what things look like when they shouldn't work. If there's no change, physical issues can't be ruled out yet.

2) Reconnect the cable and configure a static IP as you did earlier. This time try to ping the TV from a device on the wireless bridge (PS3, (if possible), laptop, or PC if you have a long enough Ethernet cable).

The outcome of 2 determines subsequent troubleshooting.

I've given the DAP-1522 bridge a static IP of 192.168.1.51 and reserved it in the router, but it appears to be connecting to the router with a dynamically assigned IP of 192.168.1.5

jdabbs, I plan to follow your troubleshooting recommendations, but need to understand what you mean in step 1. After I disconnect the ethernet cable you said "try to configure the IP." What do you mean by this? The IP of the bridge or the IP of the TV? I presume the IP of the TV will do nothing if not connected (other than I can set one manually).

IP on the TV. The goal is to determine if the TV is able to recognize a physical problem like a defective port or cabling issue.

jdabbs,

As suggested, I hooked a laptop up to the bridge with an ethernet connection only (disabled wifi on the laptop) to verify internet access through the bridge. The internet connection was verified by loading various websites.

I then disconnected the TV ethernet cable and went to the network setup menu. It didn't do anything in auto mode (the IP, subnet, gateway, and DNS numbers stayed at zero). What I have been seeing in auto mode when I connect the TV to the bridge is that the IP numbers will change to 169.254.67.11 and the subnet will change to 255.255.0.0.

Next, I manually configured the TV's network settings to:
IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (router)
DNS: 192.168.1.1 (router)

After that I tried to ping 192.168.1.10 with the laptop connected to the bridge. The ping failed, but reported it as response from the laptop IP 192.168.1.7.

Also, I looked in the router config at the attached devices. I can see the Dish receiver that is attached to the bridge. It doesn't report an IP, but does show the MAC number.

The lack of an assigned IP reported for the Dish device could be a holdover from a previous lease (which the router lost track of with a reboot). I'd only worry about it if the static IPs you've been assigning overlap with your router's DHCP range.

Checking websites confirms the bridge-router link works. Great.
The change from no address to a private one indicates the TV does acknowledge link state changes. Also great.

The ping test did not return the usual "request timed out." What was the exact message?

We can rule out the router for any further troubleshooting. If either your laptop or TV supports Gigabit Ethernet (or you have a crossover cable) you can rule out the bridge by cabling the laptop and TV together, assigning static IPs to both (192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.11/255.255.255.0, leave gateway and DNS blank) and repeating the ping test. If this is not an option, try connecting the TV's ethernet cable to a known good port on the bridge (swap either the PS3 or Dish's ports with the TV's) and try to ping the static IP again.

There is another possibility: your TV may not respond to pings. While you continue to cross out potential causes, I will see if I can track down a manual/troubleshooting guide for your TV.

jdabbs, your troubleshooting advice about not ruling out a hardware failure prompted me to go and triple check everything I had checked before. The fact that the LAN port light for the TV on the front of the bridge was sometimes on and sometimes off got me wondering. I decided to pull the TV off the wall and trace all the wiring. Turns out I found a bad keystone ethernet connector in the path. After replacing it the TV auto configured the network settings. I appreciate all the help you and leeishom offered up. This forum is a great resource.

Yeah, I had read through a couple of those cnet forums during my troubleshooting process and noted the same thing --- a lot of complaints getting Samsung TVs to connect to the internet. I think that's partially what helped convince me it was surely a router/bridge problem instead of hardware. That'll teach me to not keep an open mind when troubleshooting. Thanks for the help leeishom.