1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Connect Sprint Mobile Hotspot to RT-N66U

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by Panic Button, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Panic Button

Panic Button New Around Here

Hello,

I have a RT-N66U and I would like to connect a mobile hotspot to it to provide internet access to my home network.

The mobile hotspot is from Sprint, it's a Franklin R850 and it does not do USB tethering, so the hotspot would have to connect to the RT-N66U via WiFi.

A guy post a YouTube video that does exactly this but he was using a TP-Link TL-WR740N router.

He turned on WDS, made the connection to the hotspot, disabled DHCP, rebooted and according to him it worked fine.

I've spent several hours trying to make my RT-N66U do the same thing since it does support WDS but I'm not having any luck getting a connection from hotspot to RT-N66U. I'm currently running Merlin firmware v380.70_0.

I running it was open security during testing and I have a feeling the RT-N66U won't support working with a mobile hotspot via WiFi, even though it see it in the setup.

Can anyone confirm if this will work either with Merlin's or the Asus firmware?

I may have to pickup a TP-Link router if I can't get my RT-N66U to work or if anyone knows of a different brand that will do the job?

Thanks, PB