What's new

"Connect to DNS Server automatically" not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nach

New Around Here
Hi, all

I've searched the forums and found nothing related to this issue, but it's my first post so bear with me :)

I just got a RT-AC86U router (running the latest stock firmware 3..0.0.4.384_81351-gcb63868) which is behaving strangely in regards to DNS settings.

I have setup the ISP-provided router as a bridge (since I cannot just not use it) and set up the Asus with the PPPoE credentials, no extra configuration. Now, if at WAN settings I configure "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to "No" and set up for example Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) everything works just fine. So far so good.

Now comes the strange stuff.

If I set "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to "Yes", the PPPoE connection starts just fine and the router gets the ISP's DNS servers:

Dec 4 16:01:16 dhcp client: bound 192.168.1.33/255.255.255.0 via 192.168.1.1 for 43200 seconds.
Dec 4 16:01:18 pppd[27142]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Dec 4 16:01:18 pppd[27142]: peer from calling number A4:7B:2C:23:10:06 authorized
Dec 4 16:01:18 pppd[27142]: local IP address 88.20.106.43
Dec 4 16:01:18 pppd[27142]: remote IP address 192.168.134.1
Dec 4 16:01:18 pppd[27142]: primary DNS address 80.58.61.250
Dec 4 16:01:18 pppd[27142]: secondary DNS address 80.58.61.254

But then, things don't work anymore. The router can't ping or nslookup, and the wifi clients stop working. UNLESS I set their DNS to Google's servers manually, in which case they work fine again. So the network connection is OK, it's just DNS resolution at the router that fails.

BUT what's even more strange is that if I set up the router's "Connect to DNS Server automatically" to "No" and set up THE VERY SAME SERVERS as DNS servers, everything works just fine again. Router pings and nslookups fine, and clients work as usual. What gives?

Is this a known issue? Am I overlooking anything?

Any tips are appreciated...

Is this a known issue? Am I overlooking anything?
Unless I'm missing something, it appears you are doing it correctly and I am not sure why it doesn't work.

However, since using the ISP servers manually works, as does third party, you should probably not worry about it. I personally prefer manual configuration, particularly since I never use my ISP DNS servers anyway.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears you are doing it correctly and I am not sure why it doesn't work.

However, since using the ISP servers manually works, as does third party, you should probably not worry about it. I personally prefer manual configuration, particularly since I never use my ISP DNS servers anyway.

Thanks for the response. Yes, that's what I'm doing at the moment; but I was puzzled, and wanted to check if this was some well known bug or I was just misconfiguring something. A weird thing to happen in a router like this.

Thanks anyway!