What's new

Connect Virtual DSM to VPN router while DSM is home network router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ragpuss

Regular Contributor
Hi all,
I am a total noobie when it comes to port forwarding and double routers so please forgive me if the following sounds odd, lol.

I am trying to connect my VDSM via Lan2 on my Synology 1621+ to an Asus AC86U which works at very good speeds (50-60mbs) for Open VPN, whereas the AX11000 seems to have slow VPN speeds (10-20mbs)
My primary router is an Asus AX11000 on 192.168.1.1 which all of my devices connect to and I have a AC86U on 192.168.2.1 with the wan fixed to 192.168.1.12 as a dedicated VPN client pointing to PIA servers.
The Wan of the AC86U is connected to the Lan of the AX11000
So far I have set a static route on the primary router of 192.168.2.0 - 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.1.12
With that set I can connect with WiFi to the VPN gateway on 192.168.2.1 and still be able to access the internet and my local devices, so far so good.
What I am trying to do is to connect the Lan2 port of my NAS which hosts my Virtual DSM NAS, to the VPN router to get the same result, so that all traffic from the VDSM will go through the VPN and still talk with my local network and the normal DSM, as happens correctly when I connect using my MacBook Pro with WiFi.
I have already tried just using the VPN on my AX11000 and just directing the IP for the VDSM which works but is very slow and I have also tried setting up a VPN connection in the virtual NAS which again works but is slow.
I am obviously missing something that a hardwired connection requires more than a WiFi connection but as I said, my knowledge on these things is limited at best.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.