What's new

connecting 2 homes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

multihoming

It's not as easy as just connecting the two since each router is likely running DHCP, and also likely assigning overlapping address ranges. Having two outgoing internet connections and two routers trying to run the show makes it hard.

An easier alternative is to multihome one or more machines on your network. That means adding a second ethernet card and having one card connected to your network and one card connected to your neighbor's network. Depending on OS and protocols you want to run off the NAS it may be possible to have one multihomed machine proxy requests for the rest of your network. This is basically making the multihomed machine a bridge between the networks.

If all this is way more difficult than what you'd bargained for, the answer to your question is "no" as far as I know :(.

Do it via VPN. That's the way businesses do it.

ahh got ya but iwill it not be slow due to slow upload bandwidth go over the internet.

or can still be done router to router

or maybe my gs108t switch maybe a better place to connect the second router to as it a smart switch, could u not use the vlan option

Last edited:
ahh got ya but iwill it not be slow due to slow upload bandwidth go over the internet.

or can still be done router to router

or maybe my gs108t switch maybe a better place to connect the second router to as it a smart switch, could u not use the vlan option

Router to router the weak link in the chain is still the upload.
Is your neighbor in the same physical building as you? Or the yard next door?

There's no easy or cheap way of doing this while still providing adequate bandwidth if you and your neighbor are on separate properties. Your internet is the connection method, thus "upload", and thus spending money on business grade routers that support router to router VPN tunnels. And then upgrading accounts with your ISP to bump up the upload. And after all is said and done...still being disappointed in the fact that it takes weeks to copy a few gigs between yourselves due to the slow upload. And having the rest of your internet usage brought to its knees.

So a couple of wireless bridges in each of your windows is starting to look better now.

If you're in the same physical building, like an apartment complex or condos...may be some ways of running ethernet cable between your units.

Higgins is right on... in fact, the NAS boxes you want to connect might be able to do what you want...

I installed pptpd on my NAS.. its very easy to configure.

The two NAS boxes could have a full time VPN connection.

Hamachi

Another option is Hamachi from LogMeIn.Com. I've been using it to get secure remote access to my WHS box from the hotel while I've been travelling and it's easy to configure and works well. Incremental backups have taken about 10% more time than on my network...performance has been suprisingly good for me so far. Install took about 20 minutes. Free for up to 16 machines.

https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/hamachi2/

Drawback: your traffic crosses someone else's server. For me, no biggie at least it's encrypted so no one attached to the hotel network can see my traffic...but you need to be aware.

Good luck!

Jim

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!