What's new

Connecting 2 managed switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

k2ace

New Around Here
I'm trying to replace a Netgear FS108 switch with a Netgear GS108T switch. I didn't need the managed capability at the moment but plan to try and setup separate VLANs down the road, once I figure out how to make it work. I was expecting the GS108T would be just a plug-in-play drop in swap without any configuration. For the most part it was except I have a secondary switch that connects to it that will not link, no lights. The setup is:

Cable Model -> pfSense firewall -> Netgear GS108T v2 -> Linksys LGS308P v2

Anyone have any idea why the two switches wouldn't establish a link out of the box or what I might have to do to make them link? Both are running factory default settings.

check your vlan setup, are you sure they arent establishing a link? The lights should blink to show that the cable is physically in, than you will need to set up vlans between them.

I suspect you are not passing one of your vlans between the switches. Your switches are connected fine, they just arent passing anything through because you dont have the same vlans between them. I suggest you search for guides on setting up vlans.

check your vlan setup, are you sure they arent establishing a link? The lights should blink to show that the cable is physically in, than you will need to set up vlans between them.

I suspect you are not passing one of your vlans between the switches. Your switches are connected fine, they just arent passing anything through because you dont have the same vlans between them. I suggest you search for guides on setting up vlans.

The port lights never come on when I connect the network cable, on either switch. I was expecting at lesat a blink or two regardless of vlan issues.

The port lights never come on when I connect the network cable, on either switch. I was expecting at lesat a blink or two regardless of vlan issues.
This may be minor but did you test the cable if it works properly? A switch may not establish a link if it finds too many errors to even support 10Mb/s. If the cable is fine it could be because it is a crossover or straight through cable. Try different cables and ports.

This may be minor but did you test the cable if it works properly? A switch may not establish a link if it finds too many errors to even support 10Mb/s. If the cable is fine it could be because it is a crossover or straight through cable. Try different cables and ports.

I wasn't expecting a bad connection since the old switch was working and the Ideal VDV tester I had seemed to think all was good. An electrician buddy stopped by with a fancy Fluke analyzer and found the problem right away. Turns out one wire wasn't making a good connection where it was punched down in the jack the Linksys was plugged into. After rewiring the jack everything started working.

First thought here is a bad cable, esp. on a fresh install... should at least get link when a cable is plugged in...

GS-108T is initially a dumb switch until one starts configuring it.

Even with VLAN's, the link lights on the switch are at a lower layer...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!