What's new

Connecting 2 Routers in Bridge Mode. Router configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bshaw

New Around Here
I am trying to connect two routers via a bridge as I am receiving poor connectivity on my first floor. I am planning to connect the 2 routers with Ethernet cable from LAN port of Router 1 (R1) to LAN port of Router 2 (R2). Is it the right way?

My ISP's R1 is a FTTH dual band - some Chinese made brand. It is connected to the ISP using PPoE, Ipv4, dynamic IP, NAT and VLAN enabled with reserved start IP address from 192 .168.1.33 to end IP 254. As far as I understand it is a recent product and supports many features.

R2 is my old ISP's FTTH dual band Genexis Titanium-4211 and supports Bridge mode and has many features as well .

Both doesnt have any user guides and do not support DD-WRT or Open WRT.

Settings of R2 Under WAN page >> Internet connection menu and Bridge mode Here:

Should I enable or disable DHCP server

Bridge mode options: should it be PPPoE_Bridged or IP_Bridged

VLAN Mode
has 3 options >> Tag, Untag, Transparent Or enter VLAN number of R1

OR a different VLAN number OR should I select Untag VLAN

LAN settings page on R2 LAN Page
I want to give an IP address eg. 192.168.1.3 (which is different from R1's default gateway). So that I can also access the R2's configuration page.

Here also, there is a DHCP server enable option: Enable or Disable

Enable has DHCP server and DHCP relay.

Also Device type >> Computer, HomeGateWay (HGW) etc. What should I choose

There is also a LAN server option: Enable or Disable

DNS relay: Enable or Manual.

Should I disable NAT in R2.

Any other changes on R2 or R1 settings?

Finally, Should I assign a static address on R1 for R2 and how do I do this?

Thanks for your time.

I can't see any of your images and am not familiar with your particular devices. But you do not want bridge mode. You want to setup R2 in Access Point mode.

If R2 doesn't have an access point mode you can often just leave it in router mode with the WAN port disconnected. You will need to turn off its DHCP server though.