What's new

Connecting Aimesh with 2 Gbps Link Aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsunny2012

Regular Contributor
Hello,

i have 2 GT-AC5300 routers which are connected in Aimesh. i am very happy that Aimesh is working as advertised.
Below is my home setup

I have 4 bedrooms, living area located in 3 floors
all the 4 bedrooms and living area are connected with Wired Ethernet ( 2 ports on every wall jack)
one Jack is being used for Cat5e cable and another jack is telephone jack. Internally both the jacks has Cat5e cabling
all these ports are connected to a switch in my closet.
All ethernet ports are connected to 8 port switch. and all telephone jacks are connected to some telephone patch panel. i can make these telephone wiring to ethernet standards and can connect them to switch

As i mentioned above, Main Switch is located on 3rd floor closet, My Modem, 1x GT-AC5300 router is in living area.
Cat5e cable is connected from Modem to Router and from Router i have connected Cat5e cable to a switch ( in living area). i have connected another cable from switch to my wall plate jack
Second GT-AC5300 router is located on 3rd floor. I have configured Aimesh using ethernet connection from one of my bedroom wallplate jack.

My question here is if i make all the telephone jacks to Ethernet standard cable and connect them to a switch, can i connect my Main router and 2nd Aimesh Node using 2 Gbps Port aggregation ?
i am aware that i need to replace both switches ( Switch located near my living area and switch near my main closet)

will this setup work ?. if so can someone help me here on how to set it up

My knowledge on how the link aggregation works with the Asus routers is limited to posts that I've read on the this site. It is my understanding that you will need 2+ clients simultaneously using the link to take advantage of the 2 Gbps bandwidth. A single client can only use 1 Gbps, not 2. I have no idea on whether aimesh supports LA but in order to benefit from it you would need as mentioned earlier two clients connected to the second GT-AC5300 both requesting a Gbps of data at the same time. Of course this also means that you need a device connected to the first GT-AC5300 that is able to supply the 2 Gbps of data. And there is the catch....if you're using LA to connect to the second router then you are not able to use LA to connect a 2 Gbps capable device to the first router unless I am missing something and the GT-AC5300 can utilize two LA's at the same time.

@rinku2012 it's not an easy to answer question.
TBH I would need to capture packets between router and node to be able to answer.
The question is not if this will work. It should work assuming that you're building a link aggregation between GT#1 and switch#1, another between switch#1 and switch#2 and another between switch#2 and GT#2.
The real question is "will AiMesh actually use the 2x1G links". And that's where I can't answer because I don't exactly know what's the traffic between router and node. If Asus uses any type of encapsulation for user traffic between router and node the answer is "it won't use". If there's no encapsulation, definitely it will work - traffic from 2 clients may/will take different paths. As @doczenith1 correctly stated, one single client won't be able to exceed 1Gbps, but that should be ok, it's impossible to connect a client to node to exceed 1Gbps cause you'll have no link aggregation facing one client and wireless is wireless.

No, that's the exact scenario that doesn't work!
You really need 2 sources, a bond on desktop side is a single source.

I understand that i need 2 sources. my main intention is that if i have 1 source that is capable of doing 2 Gbps output, then if i have 2 destinations ( like 1 desktop has 2 Gbps port and 2 seperate laptops have 1 Gb port each) then i can utilize the speed right ?
this is my main intention

I understand that i need 2 sources. my main intention is that if i have 1 source that is capable of doing 2 Gbps output, then if i have 2 destinations ( like 1 desktop has 2 Gbps port and 2 seperate laptops have 1 Gb port each) then i can utilize the speed right ?
this is my main intention
You can do some reading about how 802.3ad works. No, what you're looking for it won't work!
Maybe it's easier to say: 1 mac address will use 1G no matter how many mac addresses are on the other side?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!