What's new

Connecting MoCA Adapter between incoming DSL connection and DSL Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brenpmon

New Around Here
Hello forum,

My new apartment is hard wired with coaxial cable. I would like to connect a MOCA adapter directly from the DSL line to the coaxial splitter, and then connect my modem/wireless router on the other end. I've keyed in a little diagram about how I am intending to do it. I have done a lot of research online, and it is still unclear to me whether or not a MOCA adapter can be used between the incoming DSL line and the wireless modem. Any ideas if this will this work?

[Incoming DSL Line] <--Ethernet Cable--> [Actiontec ECB2500C MOCA
Adapter] <--Coax Cable--> [MOCA PoE Filter] <--Coax Cable--> [In-Coax
Splitter-Out] <--Coax Cable--> [Actiontec ECB2500C MOCA Adapter]
<--Ethernet Cable--> [Modem / Wireless Router]

I've also attached a very lame diagram.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Moca-Setup.gif
    Moca-Setup.gif
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,096
I may be wrong, but I do not think this will work.

The DSL 'line' is basically a telephone connector/connection (smaller than the RJ45 LAN connector). Can you not simply use a long telephone extension cable to plug into the modem directly? Or, a data electrician can convert the appropriate LAN cable run for telephone (the DSL line) use.

I will be seeing if my recommendations are anywhere close, but either way I know you will get the correct guidance here in a short time.

This won't work because the DSL signal has not yet been de-modulated. The MOCA box must be downstream of the modem.

Hello forum,

My new apartment is hard wired with coaxial cable. I would like to connect a MOCA adapter directly from the DSL line to the coaxial splitter, and then connect my modem/wireless router on the other end. I've keyed in a little diagram about how I am intending to do it. I have done a lot of research online, and it is still unclear to me whether or not a MOCA adapter can be used between the incoming DSL line and the wireless modem. Any ideas if this will this work?

[Incoming DSL Line] <--Ethernet Cable--> [Actiontec ECB2500C MOCA
Adapter] <--Coax Cable--> [MOCA PoE Filter] <--Coax Cable--> [In-Coax
Splitter-Out] <--Coax Cable--> [Actiontec ECB2500C MOCA Adapter]
<--Ethernet Cable--> [Modem / Wireless Router]

I've also attached a very lame diagram.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
I've read that it doesn't work. Not sure why, but for starters, MOCA might need some layer 3 packets and the modem input is layer 2.

I'm accustomed to DSL being twisted copper pair then RJ-11 phone wire to the modem, whereas coax cable is often for cable modems. But perhaps there's a medium converter to coax involved here. If it's U-verse, you'll probably be better off with a cable modem ISP, if that's possible, for speed reasons.

I'm accustomed to DSL being twisted copper pair then RJ-11 phone wire to the modem, whereas coax cable is often for cable modems. But perhaps there's a medium converter to coax involved here. If it's U-verse, you'll probably be better off with a cable modem ISP, if that's possible, for speed reasons.

U-Verse is a good example - xDSL copper coming in to a NID, the NID converts to Ethernet to the RG (homerun), and then the RG has a MOCA endpoint to the remote STB's, along with WiFi and RJ45 ports...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!