What's new

Connecting NAS to second onboard nic - windows 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bondibro

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I have a Synology NAS that I am looking to connect to a second nic directly on my mobo. One nic connects to my switch (internet connectivity). Is it possible through Windows 10 setup to connect the second nic to my NAS directly and get access to the NAS and to the internet in parallel? The reason I am not connecting the NAS to my switch directly is that the switch is too far away and I don't want to run a second cable if I don't need to.

I also want the NAS to have internet connectivity so I can access it remotely.

It would be fairly simple to setup a second NIC to access your NAS, you'd just need to manually configure the IP addresses (Bear in mind that the NAS would not be accessible by other devices on your LAN). But I can't think of any way of directly accessing the NAS from the internet like this. You could probably configure ICS on the second NIC which would allow the NAS access to the internet but I don't see how connections coming in the other direction would be possible.

You say the NAS is too far from the switch... Surely that's the advantage of having a NAS, it doesn't need to be near the PC.:confused:

presumably your PC is connected by wire ?
If so, just drop in an unmanaged switch connected to that cable, a new cable to your PC and another to the NAS.

Hi guys,

I have a Synology NAS that I am looking to connect to a second nic directly on my mobo. One nic connects to my switch (internet connectivity). Is it possible through Windows 10 setup to connect the second nic to my NAS directly and get access to the NAS and to the internet in parallel? The reason I am not connecting the NAS to my switch directly is that the switch is too far away and I don't want to run a second cable if I don't need to.

I also want the NAS to have internet connectivity so I can access it remotely.

Move the NAS (closer) to the router (or, any other spare Ethernet cable you have elsewhere that is connected to your router) and then connect directly to it. :)