What's new

Connecting two LANs to Internet with one Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quantum2014

New Around Here
I need to connect a computer sitting in second LAN (192.168.2.X) to the Internet. My primary Network is using a Netgear Router R6300 (192.168.1.1). My ISP is COMCAST.
Thanks in advance

It is not clear to me how you have the two devices in different subnets.

The easiest way to have two LANs is use two routers that have been double NATed.

Each router then will have its own LAN. The primary router will provide the connection to the Internet. Done correctly double NATing won't cause any problems. I have four routers hooked up this way.

Search this site and you will find the straight forward and simple instructions for double NATing.

More Details

I attached a pdf file with a diagram showing the actual network configurations.
LAN 2 is a CCTV high traffic network with High Definition Cameras using lot of bandwidth, that's why it needs to be separated from the DATA network.
But the clients and the NVR Server needs Internet for updates, remote access etc. The idea is, if possible, is use the existing Router and internet connection.

Thanks

Attachments

• Internet For Two LANs.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 343
Assuming LAN 1 and LAN 2 are in the same location just run a Cat 5 cable from switch 2 to a LAN port on your router. If possible avoid connecting LAN switch 2 to LAN switch 1.

The LAN 2 switch will handle the traffic between the TV cameras and your video service. All your router will have to do is provide DHCP services to devices connected to either LAN 1 or LAN 2. It will also connect devices on both LANs to the Internet.

Traffic on LAN 2 will have no impact on download or upload speeds unless some device on LAN 2 needs a connection to the WWW.

Plugging the 2nd LAN into the router will not work, as the router likely only supports one LAN IP address.

You can do exactly what you would like to do with a basic Pfsense router setup, as you can define separate interfaces with their own IP addresses, set up routing rules between them, and create DHCP servers for each as required. We do exactly that with multiple LANS. We also use traffic limiters to ensure priority on the LANs with respect to web traffic.

You could just use the same subnet for all of your devices, but use VLANs to separate them, assuming your switches are VLAN aware.

If it was my network, I would just use the same subnet for all devices, and connect your two switches to the router. Your switches, and router switch store MAC address tables so they know where packets should be routed. I would not expect much traffic between your switches on the same subnet..that's why we use switches these days :)

I'm not sure the OP needs two WAN IPs. Based on his network description he just wants to prevent the video feeds from his cameras from clogging up his Internet/data flows. This can be accomplished by doing what I suggested if both LANs are at the same physical location. Data on LAN 1 switch, Video on LAN 2 switch.

Probably could get by with just a single switch if it had enough ports and the switch was gigabyte capable.

I need to connect a computer sitting in second LAN (192.168.2.X) to the Internet. My primary Network is using a Netgear Router R6300 (192.168.1.1). My ISP is COMCAST.

Thanks in advance

You need two VLANs on two different router ports to connect your switches to.

DD-WRT can do this, not sure if 6300 is supported by it though.

If he moves all devices to the same subnet, with VLAN, only one router port is required if configured correctly.

With two switches/subnets, Pfsense is the cost effective way to route the two ports if it is necessary to keep the subnets separate.

Depending on the OS running on the monitoring workstation or NVR recording box(if it's running 24-7) , you could also just add a cheap NIC and bridge the connections. So your NVR box becomes the default gateway on that subnet. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-network-bridge#1TC=windows-7

VLANs are the way to go...or honestly, looking at it, just live together.

Unless there is ridiculous multicasting going on here, the IP cameras are only going to be clogging the specific routes that they are on, IE to that NVR. Just make sure whatever ports/hardware it is moving through isn't a shared resource.

However, even if all on the same switch, with no VLANs, unless there is multicasting going on...if IP camera 1 is on port 1 and the NVR is on port 2 of the switch, the only traffic will be from port 1 to port 2. Nothing else on the switch is going to be bogged down at all as none of the other ports are going to be used (again, unless multicasting, which if you are, you need a switch that handles multicasting properly to limit participant ports to only legitimate recipients).

VLANs can also do what you want by limiting the ports to access only the ports you want them too...but I don't really see the need here.