What's new

Connecting two LANs to provide Public IP of LAN1 to LAN2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

majki

New Around Here
Godd morning/afternoon/evening everyone,
Appreciate it's my first post and already posting a problem, but I've already spend a lot of time sea4rching for info i need and failed. As the time in which i can return hardware will soon come, I decided to ask you guys for an advise.

Ok, not so short, but at least full intro:
I live in Switzerland but orginally come from Poland. When I was in Poland, my parents replaced their TV SAT provider with one delivered over internet. With additional monthly fee, I was offered an additional TV box (Android TV device) with assurance that it will work as well in Switzerland.
Guess what - it doesn't. Switzerland is outside of EU and therefore channels are blocked. I can send device back, but in fact I would like to have it here to be able to watch some polish channels as well.

Ok, so you know the situation now. I guess naturally first what comes to everone mind is 'use VPN my old stupid buddy'. I tried. And i failed.
1. As I have NordVPN subscription, I started by installing NordVPN app on TV box directly. It connected properly but I started to receive an error 'Unknown error, try again later'.
I reverted to factory settings.
2. I bought Assus RT-AC86U. I used client VPN functionality, OpenVPN with NordVPN - I've connected properly, still... 'Unknown error, try again later'. I tried with many servers (all within EU), UDP, UTP, and still failed. I checked other devices - all good, so VPN on router is doing just fine. I even installed some small app on TV Box to prove that it indeed thinks I'm somewhere else (based on IP). So router provided VPN connection just fine.

Internet connection is just fine (TV Box is not blocking services like Youtube and there it runs smoothly in 1080p resolution), all possible issues under 'Unknown error, try again later' can be discarded as i checked whatever possible really.

In the Terms and Conditions it is explicitly written, that if VPN is used, service will not be provided. Well, that's and i don't know how do they know that I am using VPN? My only assumption is that they do have some IP addresses of servers provided by VPN providers and when connection comes from there, they just blindly reject it with this 'Unknown error'.

In addition I also tried to watch TV using their website (connection via NordVPN established on my PC) - also get this error. Ah, and the geolocation etc. services are disabled on android box, in addition i connect using ethernet cable (wifi disabled).

Assumption - they somehow know that i'm using VPN. My only guess is that they do see IP from where request comes and they refuse it.

Please shout at this stage if someone has some other opinion or i'm missing something)

So as a last try I thought about such setup, but i do not know how to set it up. Does it even make sense from your perspective?
So - I have a fritz.box router delivered by local internet provider in CH (Switzerland). I would like to connect my Asus router to it (so it has the connection to internet), enable VPN client on it (as i did for NordVPN successfully) but instead of connecting to NordVPN servers, i would connect to my parents router located in Poland. I would setup it as a VPN server to which i want to connect from Switzerland. This all to have their home IP address when connecting to my Asus router in Switzerland. There is no way it won't work in this case according to my thinking.

Does it all make sense? What do you think about it? And don't worry about bandwitch of my parents network, they hardly use it and have 300Mbit :)

Kind regards,
Mikolaj

Both your points are correct. Streaming services know about VPNs and block the IPs of the exit nodes. Some services do it more fully/aggressively than others.

The way around it, as you say, is to connect to your own VPN server in the target country. Bear in mind that the throughput will be slightly less than the lowest download and upload speed at the remote end of the connection. So if for example your parents ISP speed is 300/10 then your VPN throughput will be less than 10 Mbps.

Hi,

Colin thanks so much for taking time to read all my story and answer so fast. I really appreciate it. I think they have at least 100 upload (fiber) but i will check to be sure. For HD resolution I think i need around 8 I think. I will test and see. Thanks again!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!