What's new

Connection and Wifi fail after changing router's IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slytho

Regular Contributor
Hi!

After changing my AC87's local IP address from its default 192.168.1.1 to something different like 192.168.87.1 both the internet connection and the Wifi signal completely fail after the router's reboot.

"Wifi fails" means the green icon in the upper right corner of the configuration page becomes grey, no mouse-over tip is displayed anymore when hovering it (usually it says Wifi on or off etc.) and the Wifi signal is gone as if the router was switched off. Oddly enough the blue Wifi LED on the router is still on albeit there is no signal. Additionally, the network map displays weird data after the IP has been changed. Powering off the router, detaching it from the current and leaving it alone for 10 minutes doesn't help.

Only reverting the router's IP back to its default 192.168.1.1 makes everything work again, even after soft reboot, i.e. no hard power off.

The router itself is more or less in its factory state. I only changed set the wifi passwords (of course), reduced the Tx power adjustment to "balance" for both radios, enabled Multi-User MIMO for 5 GHz radio and a few other minor settings like the time zone. But I assume these settings aren't related to the connection fail because reverting the router's IP simply makes everything work again.

I attached some screenshots below. The router uses the latest available Merlin firmware version 384.13-2.

BEFORE changing the IP, everything works fine:

(1) LAN IP:
(I switched of 2,4 GHz radio, so the half-green symbol is fine.)
01.png

(2) Network map:
02.png

AFTER changing the IP and soft-rebooting the router, WAN and Wifi fail:

(3) LAN-IP:
03.png

(4) Network map shows strange data:
04.png

Is this a bug or what can I do to make it work with another local IP address?

First thing I would try is a typical IP range such as 192.168.0.1 to see if it makes a difference.

Did you change the server pool to match the new LAN IP? Normally you get a NAG screen to do this but if you blew through it this could be your problem.

I have used other subnets besides the default and never had any issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!