What's new

Connection Attempts on Router Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scredly

New Around Here
I work in the live performance industry (clubs/theatres/arenas). Many of our control networks run on private, secure wi-fi networks.

I have a question about the affect devices “pinging” or attempting to log on to secure wi-fi networks have on router performance.

Many advocate hiding the SSID to avoid these “pings” and connection attempts to preserve router resources.

I understand hiding SSDI can create it’s own set of issues and really offers no security benefits if using a secure network key but in the context of preserving router resources and avoiding these “pings” and connection attempts, does it hold any water? How much router processing power do these events actually use? Especially if tens, hundreds or even thousands (large theatres/arenas) of them are occurring during a show.

This policy has been promoted for years in our industry. I'd like to get the real story from folks with actual network expertise.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Welcome to the forums @scredly.

At the hardware level needed to support 'tens, hundreds, or thousands' or more wireless clients, I would assume the effect is negligible to nil. We are obviously not talking about home or prosumer routers here.

Hidden SSIDs are probably causing more issues on their own without providing any security benefits (anyone who is actively looking to break into a network isn't just looking for what is allowed to be shown).

The above assumes this is Wi-Fi.

If using a private, licensed radio band, all assumptions are out the window. Depending on the manufacturer, they can do (and implement) anything they want. And anyone looking for mere Wi-Fi activity won't even know this equipment is even operating near them.

I think what the OP is asking is what is the impact of thousands of audience members devices trying to connect to a WiFi network that is used to control various devices in a theater and isn't intended to provide public WiFi nor is it available to do so.

Exactly. Not support that many connected users but endure audience members attempting to connect to our secure wi-fi networks.

See post 2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!