What's new

Connection issues using power line adapter and LAN switches.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lesamourai

New Around Here
Hi all,

I've been having to deal with this problem that has been making me run around in circles. Right now I'm using a Motarola SB6120 modem connected to a Mediabridge wireless N router. Then from there that plugged into a Netgear XAVB101 power line adapter which feeds into two Trendnet LAN switches. The problem lies in that I can't connect my xbox 360 via ethernet or wireless despite being able to connected to both on my laptop or desktop that are running off the same source and running through the same ethernet switches.

I've tried switching wires, changing LAN switches around, going straight from the power line adapter, but nothing has worked. Finally I decided to bring the modem and router upstairs. Running it from the router I was able to connect the xbox via LAN directly from the router as well as through the switches. I was also able to connected wirelessly.

However since everyone needs to use the wireless connection and I'm on the third floor it has to move back down. Does anyone have any suggestions as what to try? When it was on the second floor everything but the xbox was working, when it was on my floor everything worked fine.

Right now I have a 192.168 ip adress and a 255.255.255.0 subnet address. The xbox is getting the same subnet but an ip address of 169.254.178.32. Any thoughts?

the 169.x.x.x address means the device could not communicate with the router in order to obtain an address issued by the router.

So something's wrong with the arrangement of switches and HPNA. It should work, if the game is in the ethernet mode and not WiFi. And a few gotchas in the details. We'd need to know a bit more.

Of course, try the console on ethernet connected directly to the router and prove that works, then introduce the switches and then the HPNA. Do it all in one room with short cables, as a mockup if you will. Work from the simple to the complex to fault-isolate.

Check if the xbox has is tcpip setting to automatic or preset

Check if the xbox has a static ip address if so change it to the

192.x.x.x range and include that in the static setup in the router

a static address lets you open ports to a more permanet ip on the xbox.

ie less hassle for new apps....

make sure your ip numbers are correctly setup on each leg of the network .