What's new

Connection timeout with WISP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobMCT

Regular Contributor
I support many, many SOHO installations across the USA where many use WISP to connect to a host site's WLAN for Internet access. The reason this is done is to keep their "SOHO" network private and secure for its members/employees. And the fact that there is little or NO support from the host site's IT staff. For the most part this solution works very well.

However, at some host sites the WISP connection seems to be dropping at random frequencies and my investigation seems to show that this happens, with certain brand host routers/APs following a period of non-use. Something like its working fine then everyone in the SOHO goes to lunch and when they return the WISP connection is dropped.

In testing I've avoided that by embedding a script that periodically does a single ping to the site's router/AP. While this works is not practical to implement across the board.

My question is: Is this a normal occurrence for most routers/APs? Does it occur with only certain brands? If anyone has experienced this before can you please share what your solution was?

While not the end of the earth, it is definitely frustrating and is not appreciated by the SOHO's.

Thanks for any comments/feedback/advice.