What's new

Connectivity issues with ASUS RT-AC68U and USB modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sipitai

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I'm having connectivity issues when using a ASUS RT-AC68U router in combination with a Huawei E3372 USB modem.

The issues occur when the modem is plugged directly into the router, but not when it's plugged into a computer.

I can still connect to the internet, and for the most part it works fine, but I experience intermittent connection issues. I find that visiting a specific site will work fine, but then suddenly visiting the same site will time out, then maybe 5-10 minutes later it will start working fine again. Or a site will load, but some of the resources wont (i.e. images or videos).

If I bypass the router and plug the modem directly into my PC, these problems go away and everything works fine. If I plug the modem into another PC, enable internet connection sharing on that PC, then run a network cable from that PC to the WAN port on the router, everything also works fine. The issue only occurs when the modem is connected directly to the router via one of the USB ports.

Here's a list of everything I've tried so far:
- Updated the firmware to the latest version / Reset the router to default.
- Plugged the modem into both the USB 2 and USB 3 ports.
- Manually configured the WAN / APN settings.
- The Huawei E3372 wasn't in the list, so I selected "auto".
- I also tried setting the MTU to 1492.
- Moved the router to different locations around the house.
- Used my mobile phone (Moto G XT1039) with tethering enabled in place of the modem.
- Tried switching to a different ISP.

None of these fixed the problem or made any noticeable difference.

It's also worth noting:
- There are no entries in the router log when the connectivity issues occur.
- Resetting the router seems to clear the problem for a short time.

I'm assuming the problem here is one of the following:
- I need to adjust the config on the router, or modem.
- The modem is incompatible with the router.
- The router's USB circuitry is faulty.

If anyone can point me in the right direction here it would be greatly appreciated. Are there other changes to the config I should try, should I try a new modem, or should I send back my router for replacement?

UPDATE: Asus sent me a beta firmware update, which seems to have resolved this problem.

Last edited:
Almost a year later, I've finally got this sorted out.

After RMAing the router twice, and a whole lot of emails back and forth with Asus Australia, they escalated the issue to their global technical team – who, after requesting some log files, sent me a beta firmware update. Since installing it, the problems I was having seem to have disappeared.

Almost a year later, I've finally got this sorted out.

After RMAing the router twice, and a whole lot of emails back and forth with Asus Australia, they escalated the issue to their global technical team – who, after requesting some log files, sent me a beta firmware update. Since installing it, the problems I was having seem to have disappeared.

Hey there. What was the version of the beta firmware they sent you? Would you be able to provide it? I am having the same issue of websites hanging when using my 4G USB modem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!