What's new

Considering a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jramskov

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm considering replacing the low end wifi router that was supplied by the ISP and from what I've read an Asus router would a good choice. The question is which one? Should I go for the RT-N66U (a/b/g/n) or the newer RT-AC66U (a/b/g/n/ac) ?

I don't have any ac equipment yet, but my MBP is starting to get old so within the next couple of years it will be replaced with a new and the wife needs a new laptop as well.

As I use my laptop to edit pictures in Lightroom, I regularly have to move resonably amounts of data to my NAS and would like to have as much bandwidth as possible.

Is there any good reason (except price) to avoid the RT-AC66U?

Hi,

I'm considering replacing the low end wifi router that was supplied by the ISP and from what I've read an Asus router would a good choice. The question is which one? Should I go for the RT-N66U (a/b/g/n) or the newer RT-AC66U (a/b/g/n/ac) ?

I don't have any ac equipment yet, but my MBP is starting to get old so within the next couple of years it will be replaced with a new and the wife needs a new laptop as well.

As I use my laptop to edit pictures in Lightroom, I regularly have to move resonably amounts of data to my NAS and would like to have as much bandwidth as possible.

Is there any good reason (except price) to avoid the RT-AC66U?

One critera is the firmware you intend to run. Tomato is only available on the RT-N66U, while there's a test release of DD-WRT available for the RT-AC66U. DD-WRT is also available for the RT-N66U, but it's a bit... complicated.

Otherwise, both routers pretty much have the same performance, coverage. Only other critera would be price.

Thanks for the response. I actually haven't thought about firmware even though I have been using DD-WRT on a previous router.

I don't really have many requirements in regards to the firmware other than it being stable and fast. Practically the only thing I use currently is port forwarding.

I was planning to simply use the firmware provided by Asus, but perhaps I should consider using Asuswrt-Merlin instead?

I was planning to simply use the firmware provided by Asus, but perhaps I should consider using Asuswrt-Merlin instead?

I would definately use Merlins version , being based on the Asus one, you get the best of both worlds , compatability with new Asus releases + a decent set of bug fixes and extra features....I switched and haven't regretted it at all.

Hi,

Hi,

I was thru the same think process before chirstmas:
- My old Netgear WNDR3700 (running DD-WRT) was by far not good enough for my new flat
- I always want to run Optware/Entware for some addons
- Looking around and found the best one was a ASUS 'Dark Knight' RT-N66U router for me
- Even with the best send/receive power I still went for a AP Bridge with a addtional RT-N16

Why not a RT-AC66U? Simple: Price and feature! I do not want to pay for features I do not need. I dont forsee ac enabled devices in the future, nor I need the other addons ASUS is bundling (in bad quality), as I go for Optware/Entware to add the features I need.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

PS.: I run also the Merlin verison of the ASUS firmware. Great addons without loosing the compatibility with ASUS original version.

Thanks for the replies, all good points.

I will certainly use Merlins firmware version. I haven't yet decided which model to buy, but I do foresee ac enabled devices - phones are already starting to support it (not that it matters much in a phone, but still).