What's new

Considering returning my RT-AC1200G+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

banger

Just done a side by side comparison of the 1200G+ with my old DSL-N55U and there isnt much in it speed wise with wifi. Getting around 100mbps on the N55U to clients and 100mbps upload and 240 mbps download on the 1200G+. The N55U is nice and stable with my VDSL as a router and I can download a 1gb file without interruption. But the 1200G+ randomly cuts out and loses PPPoE session at 886mb downloaded so I have to start the download again when the PPP session has reconnected. This is a bit annoying, what to do?

Don't keep the router that isn't working. :)

The N55U is still beta and hasn't had a security update since 2016 is my problem the 1200G was updated yesterday is my problem. If only they would fix the bugs too.

Sending back and getting another 1200G+ give Asus a chance.

My DSL-N55U is now doing it, back to basics with configuration diagnostics.

The replacement 1200G+ turned up today and done a basic Quick setup and will see how it runs over the next week. So far so good.

24 hours and stable with basic config. Downloaded Windows ISO 4 gb no interruptions and about 20% router CPU use and on the old one it was at 100%. Also registered the serial number which seems older but same year/batch. Just transferred said 4gb file to laptop at 240mbps and no drop outs on the WAN. I had no idea it could be a hardware problem.

Last edited:
@banger, that is normal (for a few minutes at least). Let the router sit there for 15 minutes or more, reboot it. After an additional hour or more of just using it, reboot it one last time. This is all I usually need to do to get the routers I support to get back to idle when the network is too.

Should have specified the 80-90% is while downloading. Idle is about 2%.

Do I even need QoS? My DL speed is only 60mbps.

Last edited:
Configured the WAN setting to 192.168.2.8 and Gateway to 192.168.2.10 so I can log into my modem and get stats. I had a suspicion this configuration would break the PPP session tunnel but we will see I can always reverse it if PPP starts dropping.

Well I have tested a 1gb download while transferring 4gb over wifi and so far it seems stable, little bit of a slowdown on the 1gb file when uploading over wifi but no problem when downloading over wifi the 1gb remained constant speed.

Further info after 2 days uptime downloads slow down to about 44mbps and after a reboot back to 65 mbps. Going to try another 2 day uptime see if it is repeatable.

Further thinking I have 3 options at this point. If the 1200G fails to download at full speed after 2 days, I can turn my ZyXel modem into a router and use the 1200G as an access point. Or use the reboot scheduler once a day for the 1200G as a router. The third option is for Asus to fix the firmware which may take a while if at all.

Is a full return not possible at this point?

No only replacement/repair. I am hoping at this point just leaving it alone without reconfiguring anything is the cure. I have a theory that doing a small reconfig during uptime doesn't fully reboot the router and after 2 days uptime the router gets confused and needs a full reboot. Could also be QoS not able to cope.

Last edited:
Well that is 2 days 3 hours up time and downloads and wifi transfers still ok. I think if I make a reconfig I will have to do a full reboot as well. See how long it goes.

To heck with it, I have ordered a new AC68U from Amazon and will be returning the 1200G.

Well it arrived and seems a solid bit of kit. Just done a basic config and the firmware updated automatically. Now in testing.

Well the 68U has been up for 1 day 8 hours and hasn't dropped PPP session once. Wifi is also pretty stable, I also noticed on one of the firmware updates

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20490
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.
- Fixed some UI bugs.
- Fixed login bugs.

Maybe the 1200G just hasn't caught up with the above fixes. Liking the extras as well like Traffic Analyser and AI Protection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!