What's new

Constant intermittent micro-disconnections RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cick3

Occasional Visitor
Title^

In the last two weeks or so, my router has been acting up. I keep getting micro-disconnections on the wi-fi. What do these micro-disconnections look like? Well, when browsing the internet I get "ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED" ever so often (like every 5-10 minutes or so), sometimes it requires me to reload the page, sometimes it just reloads automatically. Now were talking real micro here, max 5 secs of disconnect and then resume to normal. Other devices like my wife's smartphone goes to 4g for a few secs and then back to wi-fi when these disconnects happen.

My setup, Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.19, fibre broadband connection 250/100 mbps.

What I've tried so far;
Factory reset
Downgrade to earlier Merlin version
Changed to john9527's fork of Merlin
Software "rescue" with Asus application (Twice, once with Merlin and once with latest stock firmware)

I have seen and read a few threads on here about similar issues, but no issue is identical to mine and none of the fixes have worked, unfortunately. Such as changing the Wireless channels, disabling some monitoring and other minor things.

The logs don't even catch these disconnections, I can post them if need be.

The only other thing I have running is Diversion on a USB stick in the router.

This setup has been running for over a year without hiccups, but all of a sudden it has begun acting up.

It might sound like a minor issue, but I work from home as a software developer and a "unreliable" connection causes headaches in my job.

Does anyone have any ideas that I could try that I have yet to try to see if I can resolve this issue?

I'm willing to try just about anything.

Regards, Chris

Title^

In the last two weeks or so, my router has been acting up. I keep getting micro-disconnections on the wi-fi. What do these micro-disconnections look like? Well, when browsing the internet I get "ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED" ever so often (like every 5-10 minutes or so), sometimes it requires me to reload the page, sometimes it just reloads automatically. Now were talking real micro here, max 5 secs of disconnect and then resume to normal. Other devices like my wife's smartphone goes to 4g for a few secs and then back to wi-fi when these disconnects happen.

My setup, Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin 384.19, fibre broadband connection 250/100 mbps.

What I've tried so far;
Factory reset
Downgrade to earlier Merlin version
Changed to john9527's fork of Merlin
Software "rescue" with Asus application (Twice, once with Merlin and once with latest stock firmware)

I have seen and read a few threads on here about similar issues, but no issue is identical to mine and none of the fixes have worked, unfortunately. Such as changing the Wireless channels, disabling some monitoring and other minor things.

The logs don't even catch these disconnections, I can post them if need be.

The only other thing I have running is Diversion on a USB stick in the router.

This setup has been running for over a year without hiccups, but all of a sudden it has begun acting up.

It might sound like a minor issue, but I work from home as a software developer and a "unreliable" connection causes headaches in my job.

Does anyone have any ideas that I could try that I have yet to try to see if I can resolve this issue?

I'm willing to try just about anything.

Regards, Chris

If it's just affecting wireless clients, you could review your WiFi channel assignments... try different and fixed non-DFS channels, not auto.

OE

The error log is empty I'm afraid, as stated in my original post.
Sorry, I missed your previous comment about the logs. Strange there's nothing at all in there. The clients appear to be completely disconnecting from the network so I'd expect to see something in the logs, even if it's only DHCP messages from them reconnecting. Maybe your log levels are set too low, can you increase the verbosity?

If you look at the router's Network Map > Clients > View List does the "Access Time" confirm the client's were disconnected? Do all of the WiFi clients disconnect at the same time? I'm assuming this doesn't effect wired clients?

Sorry, I missed your previous comment about the logs. Strange there's nothing at all in there. The clients appear to be completely disconnecting from the network so I'd expect to see something in the logs, even if it's only DHCP messages from them reconnecting. Maybe your log levels are set too low, can you increase the verbosity?

If you look at the router's Network Map > Clients > View List does the "Access Time" confirm the client's were disconnected? Do all of the WiFi clients disconnect at the same time? I'm assuming this doesn't effect wired clients?

Right, so I put logging to all and debug, hoping to catch SOMETHING.

And as I was fiddling about, trying netstat, curl and ping to different places, suddenly the wifi went dead, and this time, for about ~20 seconds.

The log then spat out this message:

Oct 27 19:28:38 kernel: nvram: consolidating space!

Only the 5Ghz band was affected as I can see on my list of devices, the ones on 2.4ghz are crusing for 2+ hrs (as was my units on the 5Ghz, even though I was experiencing these small disconnects) but the ones on 5Ghz lost their connection at the time listed above.

I don't know if I somehow caused it as I was in the admin UI I clicked on 'Site survey' out of curiosity but it just kept loading until the 5Ghz went dead.

The log shows this message after the one above:

Oct 27 19:28:42 rc_service: httpd 257:notify_rc restart_wlcscan

Any clues from these two errors?

Doing a site survey may very well disconnect clients on 5GHz depending on the channel currently in use.

The "consolidating space" message shouldn't be a problem.

Alright, then nothing out of the ordinary.

The small disconnects don't get logged and don't cause the device to lose it's connected status in the network map.

I'm at a loss tbh :/

Last edited: