What's new

constant ping timeouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BBE

Occasional Visitor
So I keep getting dropped connections, and started running a constant ping on some devices to get to the bottom of it. I keep getting random "request timeout" responses during constant ping on my devices. Some more so than others. I'm getting them on devices that are far away and going through 1 or two switches, and devices that are immediate and are legitimately hard wired right into the back of the router itself. I'm using an AC-88u. I actually replaced the router itself with a brand new one hoping that would fix it...however I backed up my settings from the old router and did a restore onto the new router. Which I agree...is a red flag. But I had zero issues with this on the old router until for some reason one of my POE switches went bad and died. And I tried to swap in a new one in the middle of the day, and ever since then I started having these issues. So obviously I thought it was the new switch that I swapped in...so I've tried three or 4 different switches in place of it, and I'm still having the issue.

Is there something that could get saved within the router like the adaptable firewall that could make it to the new router with a backup/restore that would be causing all these connection droputs and "request timeouts" when pinging?

...however I backed up my settings from the old router and did a restore onto the new router. Which I agree...is a red flag.
The quickest way to test would be to factory reset the router and do a minimal configuration just to get it up and running. Do you still get the problem. If it's still happening you can restore your old config.

But if this problem was happening with your previous router and only started when your switch died it seems unlikely to be the router that's at fault. Sounds more like a wiring fault somewhere.

It is not clear what you are pinging. Are you pinging other (wired) clients on the LAN or internet sites?

I'm pinging All local devices connected to the LAN. I'm moved beyond the wiring issue, because like I said, it does it on every device that's connected DIRECTLY to the back of the router with a cat5 cable. EVERY device. Not just one device where possibly the cable is bad.

Cat 5 or cat 5e ? what data rate are you trying to run ?
was the new router on the exact same firmware as the old router ?
If not, that could easily be the issue. A restore into different firmware can cause issues.
Agree with Colin, factory reset and do only basic config and see if you have the issue.

I presume all devices and switches go back to the ac88u (so it’s effectively the lead switch) - have you tried reconiging things so that one of the standalone switches is the lead switch (every other switch connects back to that switch directly, with clients ONLY connecting to the switches), with the ac88u ONLY acting as a router (so it’s only got’s it’s WAN connection and ONE ethernet connection to a switch) - that will eliminate the possibility you’ve got a marginal switch chip in the ac88u causing packet loss (as lan internal traffic won’t hit the ac88u - only internet traffic)