What's new

Consumer wireless router or Router with AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dipesh.batheja

New Around Here
I am looking to upgrade our old wifi N and 100mbps wired network in our small office to AC WiFi and 1Gigabit wired. We are around 15 people using the Internet on daily basis on Desktop, mobiles and laptops, so expect around 20-30 devices using the Internet. Office area is around 2500Sqr.Ft. It's like big room with not much hard walls in it. Also, currently we have 20mbps VDSL internet connection which I am looking to upgrade to atleast 50mbps connection.

I was thinking to go with simple consumer grade wi-fi router TP-Link Archer C3150. But then I saw some business products from TP-Link which will require me to setup separate router and AP.

I am confused now with which solution to go for. I don't want too much of networking hassle though. Most of the devices will be using wi-fi with 3 small internal servers (ownCloud, Proxmox) directly connected to wired network.

What will be your suggestion i should do?

Last edited:
If you want the least hassle getting setup, stick with the consumer all-in-one device. If you want the most stable and scalable solution? Go find some basic business grade stuff....Ubiquiti is one of the options, but not the only one.

- define your budget
- define the complexity of install and management
- define the performance requirements for the LAN
- define the performance requirements for the WAN
- define the acceptable wiring complexity

A dedicated AP will probably work better overall than an all-in-one just based on where it will likely be installed. All-in-one will more than likely be sitting on a desk or wall not exactly above obstacles nor centralized to the clients. A couple of properly placed ceiling mounted APs will probably service your clients better.

All-in-one will more than likely be sitting on a desk or wall not exactly above obstacles nor centralized to the clients. A couple of properly placed ceiling mounted APs will probably service your clients better.

Can't mount APs on ceiling as we have hard ceilings can't run those Ethernet wires. Will have to wall mount at best.

Is TP-Link Archer C3150 a good wi-fi router anyway? Do you suggest something else in that price range?

Coming to ubquiti, what are the other alternatives for especially for the router? It might be little difficult and expensive to source it's products.

Yes that is easy option. Going for single high end may not solve if the distance is beyond 1500 Sqft. It may be no walls still range is hard to reach at some point.

Option 1:

Get Netgear X4s . It can reach same floor and below if you need a decent 2k sq ft.

Still Need to extend add AP or Repeater if needed.

Option 2.:

Get AP a decent no need to ceil mount. Wall mount also works.
It doesnt have Router SO get the edge router x from them . You May already have switch and modem from ISP . If you are confident then use the ISP if not get the edge router x.

It also can do load balancing. AP will do extend network wireless. So you get both in good pricing. Can add more AP based on need.

EDGE X = $50-60
AC Lite / PRO= $70-140