What's new

Copy from Windows Terminal Window in SSH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Will anyone tell me the proper procedure to to copy a screen of text, for instance a log file that has been cat'ted to the screen? If I right click, it pastes it all back to the terminal screen, and that looks dangerous, and if I use the windows shortcut ^C it bails out. Using Windows 10.
Thanks!

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin, OpenVPN selective clients

That depends entirely on the terminal emulator you are using and how it has been configured.

With the default setup for PuTTY for example all you need to do is use the mouse to select the text you want. It's automatically copied into clipboard. Switching to a Windows application you can now paste the contents.

Right-click in PuTTY is the paste function which can indeed be dangerous if you're not aware of it.

That depends entirely on the terminal emulator you are using and how it has been configured.

With the default setup for PuTTY for example all you need to do is use the mouse to select the text you want. It's automatically copied into clipboard. Switching to a Windows application you can now paste the contents.

Right-click in PuTTY is the paste function which can indeed be dangerous if you're not aware of it.
Yes, I am using PuTTY. So just selecting the text copies to the clipboard? Thanks a bunch. I realize it is a simple thing, but without knowledge it is a complex subject.

If you don't like PuTTY's defaults you can change them to an extent at Settings > Window > Selection.

Changing it from "Compromise" to "Windows" makes it more Windows-like.

If you don't like PuTTY's defaults you can change them to an extent at Settings > Window > Selection.

Changing it from "Compromise" to "Windows" makes it more Windows-like.

I don't mind the default, long as I know what it is, I suppose. Possibly the biggest problem is using Windows to begin with, some might say.
My experience has been with MS-Dos, then Windows to some extent. Linux and SSH are new to me.
I may try the Windows mode in PuTTY, might be more friendly toward me.
Thanks for the help.

Will anyone tell me the proper procedure to to copy a screen of text, for instance a log file that has been cat'ted to the screen? If I right click, it pastes it all back to the terminal screen, and that looks dangerous, and if I use the windows shortcut ^C it bails out. Using Windows 10.
Thanks!

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin, OpenVPN selective clients
Windows Terminal works just fine for SSH. Just mark the text you want to copy with your left mouse button and than press the right mouse button once. Now move to the app where you want to copy the text too and press the right mouse button and select paste.

Windows Terminal works just fine for SSH. Just mark the text you want to copy with your left mouse button and than press the right mouse button once. Now move to the app where you want to copy the text too and press the right mouse button and select paste.

I must have some settings different. When I right click, it deposits whatever is in the clipboard to the terminal. I will try the Windows settings in PuTTY.
But I think you are talking about using a windows terminal, and I am haven't tried SSH except through the PuTTY interface, and very little then.
thanks,
jts

Yes he was talking about the Windows command prompt, not PuTTY.
Looking back at my thread title, I did say windows terminal. I didn't label it properly I guess.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!