What's new

Copying files/directories from one Synology Disk Station to another, why so difficult?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EngChi

Regular Contributor
may be there is something simple I am missing but so far, in my experiences, definitely areas for improvement by Synology.

Run google searches and tried multiple things, none of them worked very easily
rsync ( enabling on source/destination NAS followed by SSH into the machine and copy) - didn't work with terminal crapping out
remote folder mount (enabling NFS service, granting permissions, mounting on new NAS for File Explorer copy) - similarly painful and slow.

is there something basic I am missing? Right now I am just waiting for full backup to complete to move external USB drive vs using Gb network copy ...
thank you

I presume it was not part of basic functions even so network should be able to to support

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

rsync is what I use to keep folders on one NAS sync'ed to another remote NAS.
Works fine for me. I have it setup on a daily schedule so its automated.

One NAS is rsync client and one is server.

I use Hyper Backup to rsync to a backup NAS -- a DIY box based on an HP N54L running FreeNAS 9.10 with a ZFS file system; this is woken up with a Wake-on-LAN packet, the backup runs, then the FreeNAS box is shutdown.

Sounds as if you are logging into the diskstation with SSH in order to run rsync. If so, why not just use the backup client provided which is a wrapper for rsync?

Just finished moving 20 TB from one Synology to another.
Using Midnight Commander on source NAS to copy files freezes and is painfully slow. (ssh and ftp)
Using File Station on NAS to mount a NFS or CIFS drive and copy files this way is painfully slow.
I tried enabling FXP on both Synology FTP's and using a FXP aware FTP client but again, for some reason, transfers were stalling a lot.
I ended using a laptop to copy from one Synology to the other via the laptop's NIC. Even at ~50-60 MBps (megabytes) upload speed I still calculated it was faster then using any of the above mentioned methods.
It took around 90+ hours to complete.

Indeed, Synology should make data transfer between it's products much easier/faster.

EngChi, I think you need to explain your network setup in more detail for anyone to really help you. What router are you using? What Syno devices? Wifi involved? What actual speeds were you getting? On a gigabit network you are looking at a theoretical max of 125 megabytes/sec. Anything from your NICs to your router and/or switch can affect the speed.

I recently did a Syno to Syno copy of several TBs via a FileStation remote mount and it was reasonably fast.

Its funny, I remember the days when just transferring a few megabytes took a few minutes, now we talk in terms of transferring terabytes...

If it's a lot of data, it might be faster to back up to a big external and sneakernet it over for a restore - bandwidth there can be really fast ;)

Thank you guys - I ended up doing it the slow and manual way using a third Windows computer as initiator of the transfer.
from other threads - I am in the process of buying a house and would be straddling two households for a little bit (few months), so I am using it as opportunity to built things 'right' in the new house I expect to live 20+ years at (run cat6 network to every room, pre wire living room for sound, set up proper power for my server rack, upgrade some of the old things/hacks that simply don't make sense anymore).

weird, the time value of money is such is that I rather pay now vs mess with a lot of this myself - family, kids, commitments, free time is very valuable. very different from the past..

in terms of sinology question, I have installed and later removed Photo Station' - I do however still see 'conversion in progress' which I stopped . Any way to remove this?