What's new

Correct way to add DNS entry for ipv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IsaacFL

Regular Contributor
I am using the ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 380.66-4 Firmware, and trying to register my router name in the DNS.

Not sure if this is unique to Merlin or should I post this in the Asus wireless area?

I added the following to /jffs/configs/hosts.add

Code:
2605:e000:aaaa:bbbb::1 RT-AC1900P-ABF0.psp.mydomain.com RT-AC1900P-ABF0
2605:e000:aaaa:bbbb::1 router.asus.com

this works, but if my ipv6 prefix (2605:e000:aaaa:bbbb) changes, then it won't be right anymore.

Is there a way to add the ::1 address for the router that accommodates the assigned ipv6 prefix?

Not sure why the ipv6 address for the router isn't automatically registered in the DNS.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure but I would think that you should use the link local address of the routers LAN interface (br0). So the would be the one beginning fe80::

As this address is based on the interface's MAC address it should never change.

This would also be consistent with the IPv6 entries that already exist in the router's hosts file.

But I agree with you that it seems like something that should already be present in that file. I wonder if @john9527 or @RMerlin might be able to comment on that (I personally know very little about IPv6). Here is my hosts file by way of a comparison:
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.1 router.asus.com
192.168.1.1 www.asusnetwork.net
192.168.1.1 www.asusrouter.com
192.168.1.1 RT-AC68U.home.lan RT-AC68U
192.168.1.1 asusrouter.home.lan asusrouter
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
fe80::325a:3aff:fec7:8a20 router.asus.com
fe80::325a:3aff:fec7:8a20 asusrouter.home.lan asusrouter

Last edited:
Link Local would might work, but the address that is always used is the Prefix::1 address. It is what is passed out by DHCPv6 as the DNS server address for the clients, so if I want the router name to show on traceroute, etc, then I need to have a DNS entry for the Prefix::1.

It isn't critical, as everything works, more cosmetic. For instance, if you do a nslookup, it shows the server as "unknown".

So far, I just keep an eye out to see if the Prefix changes. It only has changed once, when there was a power outage.

Question, I'm also using an asus router with merlin's firmware (a RT-AC56U);

- Starting several years ago (not exactly sure when) I realized nslookup had stopped resolving v6 names to IP's, but still resolved IPv6 address to the lan hostnames.
- More recently All local IPv6 nslookups regular and reverse-lookups all fail. I have tried many different configurations including returning everything to defaults however nothing seems to help.

Does your asus router have the same problem/behave the same way as well?

Is your ipv6 working but just not able to find their names in nslookup?

I have noticed that depending on the type of client it is (windows, Linux, or apple) they behave differently as far as DNS.

Windows machines seem to register themselves in the DNS and I can resolve their ipv6 addresses. Linux and Apple products do not. So if I "nslookup iPhone" it shows me the ipv4 address but not the ipv6. But the ipv6 is working for these devices. Just not DNS entries.

I have found that way to get the most entries into the DNS is to use the Stateful to assign ipv6 to devices, this allows Windows machines to register their addresses. I then use a script to add the "renames" item to the dnsmasq.conf. This causes SLAAC addressing in addition for those items that support it, so the DNS will be able to resolve those items. For instance, my thermostats and garage door opener all get slaac addresses, and if I manually assign ipv4 addresses to them, then nslookup will show both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses. "renames" causes dnsmasq to ping the address that should be generated by slaac and if it responds adds an entry into the dns.

Not sure if this is what you are seeing or not.