What's new

Correct way to reboot router with usb ext4 drive attaced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZooManFL

Occasional Visitor
Best re boot practice with ext4 HD attached?
My question is can I just re boot from the Merlin main menu or the buttons on the router itself.
Do I need to Eject the drive first ?

I just want to able to reboot the router on occasion,

3TB my-book that hibernates most of the time
RT-AC68U 374.43_2
APC Backups NS 1080
UP-TIME 73 days 18 hours 28 minutes 59 seconds

Thanks in advance
Ken

I don't use USB drives with my routers, but I would Eject the drive first, unplug the USB and power cables for the drive, shut down the router, plug in the drive to the router and then power up the router and then power up the drive.

Looking forward to see what is actually required or recommended though. :)

My drive's in ext4 and I just reboot it any old way I want. Unless you're actively using the contents on the drive (writing, really) at that exact time, I can't see what could go wrong. We shut off our DOS computer with a power button, didn't we?

Hey,

I have the same configuration but with 2 tb Toshiba connected and router is RT-N66U, when i reboot router i push just reboot from web interface or also push button on/off directly. Also i'm using Transsmision with active torrents during reboot or restart, until the moment i don't have any problem at all.

Thanks. I was just checking

My drive's in ext4 and I just reboot it any old way I want. Unless you're actively using the contents on the drive (writing, really) at that exact time, I can't see what could go wrong. We shut off our DOS computer with a power button, didn't we?

Hey,

I have the same configuration but with 2 tb Toshiba connected and router is RT-N66U, when i reboot router i push just reboot from web interface or also push button on/off directly. Also i'm using Transsmision with active torrents during reboot or restart, until the moment i don't have any problem at all.

Hey, I learned something new. :)

As for DOS though; we did just push the power button. But not with programs open or running.

I don't use USB drives with my routers, but I would Eject the drive first, unplug the USB and power cables for the drive, shut down the router, plug in the drive to the router and then power up the router and then power up the drive.

Looking forward to see what is actually required or recommended though. :)

I use ext4 on my router and the only thing I make sure is that squid proxy shuts down successfully using the services-stop user script. The everything else is handled by the OS.