What's new

Could all AX devices / stations connect via AC at 160 Mhz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

copperhead

Occasional Visitor
I'm considering purchasing the Asus GT-AC2900 over the Asus RT-AC86U since it supports both DFS and 160 Mhz channel width (both hardware are identical but only the GT model reveals this extra). But as far as i can tell no smart TV or phones support the 160 Mhz channel width.

For future devices with AX support would they also have the ability to connect via AC but make use of the 160 Mhz channel width of my wireless AC router? That is, do these newer devices typically improve their specs for previous gen wireless technologies? So at the moment many devices dont support the optional AC 160 Mhz channel width but with AX, manufacturers will support higher specs for AC since AX has better hardware to handle it.

I'm trying to decide if its worth having 160 Mhz within the GT router. DFS has been nice, though my neighborhood isnt polluted much in the 5 Ghz frequency.

I'm considering purchasing the Asus GT-AC2900 over the Asus RT-AC86U since it supports both DFS and 160 Mhz channel width (both hardware are identical but only the GT model reveals this extra). But as far as i can tell no smart TV or phones support the 160 Mhz channel width.

For future devices with AX support would they also have the ability to connect via AC but make use of the 160 Mhz channel width of my wireless AC router? That is, do these newer devices typically improve their specs for previous gen wireless technologies? So at the moment many devices dont support the optional AC 160 Mhz channel width but with AX, manufacturers will support higher specs for AC since AX has better hardware to handle it.

I'm trying to decide if its worth having 160 Mhz within the GT router. DFS has been nice, though my neighborhood isnt polluted much in the 5 Ghz frequency.

It seems to me that 160 MHz on the 5.0 band is only usable if i) you have clients that can do 160 MHz; ii) you can use channel 36-64 or 100-128; and iii) there is no DFS or other significant interference on those channels.

I think it's more practical to be content with most/all clients using 80 MHz and non-DFS channels for now, until the 6.0 band and capable clients are common.

OE

Last edited: