What's new

Could really use some knowledge on LACP between two ASUS routers. I drew diagrams!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geofram

New Around Here
I have two AC3100's running the latest Merlin (380.66_4).

The first is in the office, with the modem, serving an 5GHz network optimized for throughput and a hidden 2.4GHz network optimized for compatibility.

I want the second downstairs, repeating the 5GHz network for better coverage and serving an isolated 2.4GHz "guest" network with some filtering, but I also want to keep the 802.3ad bond between the network and the server's two Intel NIC's.

This is what I have working now:
5bjaRc9.png

This is what I'd like to have:
2i4I41C.png

Having the extra LAN3 on the second router available is a nice-to-have - the priorities are:
1) Maintaining the 802.3ad LACP between the server and the network (either directly to the main AC3100 router or through the second AC3100 access point.
2) Having the second AC3100 act as a wired Access Point for the 5GHz network from the main router.
4) Not buying any more hardware (running more cable is not an option).
3) Enabling LACP between the two routers and then again between the second router and the server.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be so appreciated - I'm just about ready to give up and have the second AC3100 act as a wireless repeater instead (not ideal).

Perhaps introducing more complexity that you might need to...

From the ONT to the ARRIS - let it handle the routing, drop in a switch after that, and then run things over to the first RT-AC3100 as an AP,

Second AP - same goes here with an ethernet run to second RT-AC3100 in AP mode.

Simple is good... a good switch after the Arris - Netgear GS-108T's are pretty cheap, and very configurable if needed, but I suspecting an unmanaged switch is good enough.

LACP, even in your context, is vasty over stated...

Quick tip - don't hide the 2.4GHz SSID - advertise it, and the neighbors will interfere less...

Thank you for replying!

The Arris NVG599 has little to none of the features I'm currently using the main RT-AC3100 for. Our workflow simply doesn't allow that as an option.

The server houses 40+ TB of 360 videos, cached with 128GB of RAM and 4TB of NVMe SSD. The difference in my productivity between 1Gbps and 2Gbps is a difference in the number of clients I can field in a day.

I know it seems like I'm making excuses, but the setup was much closer to what you described before we moved and I'd be willing to have less than perfect wireless coverage to keep the new one (fig. 1).

The 2.4GHz network is for non-priority and older devices, a couple wireless IP cameras that don't have 5GHz capability, IOT "smart" devices, etc. It used to have the same SSID as the 5GHz network, but we have no neighbors to interfere with and I like not seeing it.

Does the AC3100 even support LACP? It is not mentioned in the manual. Heck teaming is not even mentioned.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!