What's new

Couldn't install the firmware for the RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fizdog

New Around Here
Hey guys I am new here. I always wanted to try out custom firmware for a router ever since ive heard about them. When I try doing it for my Asus RT-AX82U the standard way though the web UI it just hangs on the "Please wait" msg. i even left it overnight still the same message. I tried the Firmware Restoration app, it said it worked but router never automatically rebooted. I know the firmware is for version 1 of the router. Ive searched here and found a post stating 3 cpu cores is v1 and 4 is v2. not sure how true that is cause when i ran the ssh cmd to get the version it said v2 and the web UI shows that my router has 3 cores. I love tinkering with things like this so wanted to give it a go. am I SOL?

Hello, I recently got an RT-AX82U V2, but it has 3 cores. From what I've read, the only difference is the 5Ghz WiFi chip.
In the original state I had firmware 3.0.0.4.386_50224.
I got the latest version 3.0.0.4.388_23285 from the Asus website, it went to the update without any problems.
Runs flawlessly even after a firmware reset.

Gnuton is working on a version for the V2 which I will definitely try then

What firmware are you trying to install on the RT-AX82U? Asus-Merlin firmware is not supported on the RT-AX82U. See this link for supported models: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

The Gnuton fork does apparently support the RT-AX82U V1. See the following link: https://gnuton.github.io/asuswrt-merlin.ng.
yes i know gnuton supports the router i have V1, like i said a post i was reading had a comment which said 3cores is v1 and 4 cores is v2. mine shows 3 cores. i ran the command "nvram get productid" and it shows V2. i'm just using info based on what ive found mainly on this forum. info might not be accurate as i am getting that its V2 not v1 so i'll assume i'm SOL

Hello, I recently got an RT-AX82U V2, but it has 3 cores. From what I've read, the only difference is the 5Ghz WiFi chip.
In the original state I had firmware 3.0.0.4.386_50224.
I got the latest version 3.0.0.4.388_23285 from the Asus website, it went to the update without any problems.
Runs flawlessly even after a firmware reset.

Gnuton is working on a version for the V2 which I will definitely try then
does it work on V2? ive tried the only 2 ways i know of to install the firmware neither worked