What's new

Skynet Show Country Names instead of Codes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
It would be nice if the country codes in Skynet graphs could be the names of the actual countries, rather than just codes. Certainly with the pie charts there is room for that (see image below) and even the other chart types could show the actual country names in the mouse over info. Also, is there any way to save one's choice of chart type, rather than have them reverting back to the default horizontal bar chart?
Screenshot - 26_07_2022 , 17_52_45.jpg

Also, is there any way to save one's choice of chart type

As far as I remember, it uses a cookie. If you block cookies, it won’t remember your selection.

Why do you have Skynet installed on your router and what you expect it to do for you?

As far as I remember, it uses a cookie. If you block cookies, it won’t remember your selection.

Why do you have Skynet installed on your router and what you expect it to do for you?
I thought it was supposed to improve security. Is that not the case?

It may, in some cases. It may only cause issues in others. What is your specific case?

Skynet is a good tool, but only if you know what it does and how to use it for your needs.
Nothing in particular. I just installed it for the reason I stated in my last comment.

I just installed it for the reason I stated in my last comment.

You've read somewhere someone recommending it without reading further details about it. I just wonder, will you ever stop playing with your router? :)

I don't recommend Skynet to people who can't troubleshoot Skynet by themselves. Your DNS IPs will find their way in community supported blocklists (like it happened few times already) and you'll end up with no Internet. Default Skynet blocklists blocked Quad9, Google, Facebook, Microsoft Update servers in the past. If you can't troubleshoot and recover from false positive blocks, better uninstall Skynet. Your router's default firewall blocks all unsolicited connections by default. What Skynet is showing you as blocked is mostly what was matched in blocklists. It was blocked by the firewall anyway.

Last edited:
You've read somewhere someone recommending it without reading further details about it. I just wonder, will you ever stop playing with your router? :)

I don't recommend Skynet to people who can't troubleshoot Skynet by themselves. Your DNS IPs will find their way in community supported blocklists (like it happened few times already) and you'll end up with no Internet. Default Skynet blocklists blocked Quad9, Google, Facebook, Microsoft Update servers in the past. If you can't troubleshoot and recover from false positive blocks, better uninstall Skynet. Your router's default firewall blocks all unsolicited connections by default. What Skynet is showing you as blocked is mostly what was matched in blocklists. It was blocked by the firewall anyway.
I will stop playing with my router when I'm dead, so you need not be concerned about my behaviour! Anyway, I've just "played" with it again and removed Skynet.

It may, in some cases. It may only cause issues in others. What is your specific case?

Skynet is a good tool, but only if you know what it does and how to use it for your needs.

That logic can apply to anything, including AsusWRT-Merlin…

Skynet provides functionality that otherwise doesn’t exist. Skynet also has measures in place that prevent most of the scenarios you mentioned. Seems like you have a bone to pick but keep an open mind to a multi layer firewall approach.

Skynet provides functionality that otherwise doesn’t exist.

Similar to Asuswrt-Merlin extra functionality, Skynet's extra functionality is not required. My personal issue with Skynet is the fact it makes users believe it "blocks" a lot of connections, but in reality the same connections will be blocked anyway by the built-in firewall, without Skynet. Skynet can block extra IPs, depending on settings and needs. As per description on GitHub, Skynet is "first line of defense in your home network". No, the default built-in firewall is the first line of defense. Again, it's a good and useful tool, but it can also be Internet disrupting due to lower user knowledge and/or external factors.

I use Skynet, I figure it doesn't hurt... I am hosting a Plex server that is open from the 'net but more so for outbound traffic.

I pretty much determined I do not need the latest/greatest for my modest connections and uses.

NOTE for Tech9 .... yes, I am still playing with various network setups. I keep waiting for Amazon to put me on a "no return block list". :)

Thankfully I have my "old" AC86U and the 2 CT8 units that are very reliable.

Last edited:
Similar to Asuswrt-Merlin extra functionality, Skynet's extra functionality is not required. My personal issue with Skynet is the fact it makes users believe it "blocks" a lot of connections, but in reality the same connections will be blocked anyway by the built-in firewall, without Skynet. Skynet can block extra IPs, depending on settings and needs. As per description on GitHub, Skynet is "first line of defense in your home network". No, the default built-in firewall is the first line of defense. Again, it's a good and useful tool, but it can also be Internet disrupting due to lower user knowledge and/or external factors.
Isn't it always good to have a layered approach? I personally like to stop all connections via geoblocking as one layer, then after that the firewall can deal with the rest. I also use a couple blacklists. Why not get a head start on filtering bad actors and narrow the field...

Isn't it always good to have a layered approach? I personally like to stop all connections via geoblocking as one layer, then after that the firewall can deal with the rest. I also use a couple blacklists. Why not get a head start on filtering bad actors and narrow the field...
Exactly. One thing the default firewall alone cannot do is geoblock outbound... also, skynet gives you the ability to create your own custom filter lists to add as many excellent blacklists as you want out there gives you yet another good layer to help protect those on your network from resolving websites, or allow them to click through on some potential phishing link... which is why I believe skynet is an essential part to having a more secure router/network.

will you ever stop playing with your router? :)
Will you ever stop questioning people using Skynet?
Every time someone mentions using it you feel the need to explain to them how the default firewall works... :rolleyes:

Is it possible to view existing country blocks and add or remove individual countries one at a time, rather than deleting all those already added? Having decided to give Skynet another try, I added China and Russia to the blocked countries list, but when I went back in and added North Korea, it removed China and Russia, so I had to start again, this time adding CN KP RU before hitting enter.

will you ever stop playing with your router?
NEVER, EVER !

---

The thing with Skynet is building up a nice whitelist overtime. Here is mine, you can see I have whitelisted ip's that have had false positives in the past, plus some of the dns ones I added to prevent future false positives.

Whitelist
9.9.9.9 comment "ManualWlist: quad 9 dns"
1.1.1.1 comment "ManualWlist: cloudflare dns"
23.227.38.74 comment "ManualWlist: govee website (shopify)"
8.8.4.4 comment "ManualWlist: google dns"
37.244.54.10 comment "ManualWlist: roblox"
23.227.38.74 comment "ManualWlist: govee (shopify)"
128.116.119.3 comment "ManualWlist: battlenet2"
37.244.28.102 comment "ManualWlist: battlenet1"
91.199.81.1/24 comment "ManualWlist: phasmophobia"
http://mirror.ossplanet.net (rpi/linux update)
https://www.animal.co.uk/ (clothing website)
http://mirror.ossplanet.net (rpi)

Blacklist

Country blocks
cn br ir ua ar iq tw th lv ru ro cl sa pk sg bg in by er sy kp pk iq dz ao am bd bo bi cf cg cu sv gq kz kg la mg ml mn mz

Starting off with 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4,1.1.1.1,9.9.9.9 is a good thing to stop the chance of total disaster.

Last edited:
Is it possible to view existing country blocks and add or remove individual countries one at a time, rather than deleting all those already added? Having decided to give Skynet another try, I added China and Russia to the blocked countries list, but when I went back in and added North Korea, it removed China and Russia, so I had to start again, this time adding CN KP RU before hitting enter.
Just keep a text file on your desktop and cut and paste it in.
I also add my whitelists to the text file, and back it up in my network backups folders.

Will you ever stop questioning people using Skynet?

No. I do question specific people who just install Skynet because someone else did.

how the default firewall works...

It works very well. This is why most people don't need Skynet. I explain mostly how Skynet misleading stats make people believe it does a lot of work to protect the network, but in fact it doesn't.