What's new

Couple older r7000's ...keep or go Orbi Mesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, my XPS13 seems to have the Dell Wireless 1820 adaptor, I couldn't update it with the Intel 7265 anyhow and appear to have the latest wifi driver for it.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro actually this morning and comparing against the EAP225v3. In Canada the EAP225v3 can be had for a lot cheaper than the Ubiquiti products.

Would you recommend these over the Netgear Orbi products? Don't want to spend a ton right now if there is a new gen of products coming out shortly I guess, but need at least 2 APs.

No point getting mesh products like Orbi when you can just get APs since nothing beats the performance of a wired connection.

.... and now my 2.4ghz wireless has no internet connection, even though my 5Ghz mode is fine. Maybe I just need a whole new setup, including router. Suggestions if I don't want to break the bank and need 2 to 3 access points?

You seem to be in the unfortunate position of not being able to change your modem with Rogers Internet, otherwise a DOCSIS 3.1 modem like the Motorola MB8600 would have been perfect.

So, all you can change is the router and APs:
  • A. Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-4 + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. Extreme wired performance, average OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options, SOHO features like VLANs
  • B. Mikrotik hAP ac2/hex (RB750Gr3) + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. High wired performance, poor OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options, SOHO features like VLANs
  • C. Asus RT-AC86U + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. High wired performance, excellent OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options
  • D. TP-Link Archer C7 + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. Average wired performance, average OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options
Replace UAP-AC-Lite with TP-Link EAP225v3 if you want more ease of use (except for updates), but you lose DFS, strong roaming options and its controller software is less sophisticated and has less visibility into your network. Also, from what I can see on the Amazon.ca site, there's almost no difference in price between the two APs.

If you have a spare PC that runs all the time or minipc, you can get extreme OpenVPN performance (much higher than the RT-AC86U) and VPN performance in general. You can add this to any configuration above.

The cheapest option is B. The problem with B is that Mikrotiks are hard to configure and you cannot just put in third party firmware. The next cheapest is D, but you will not be able to achieve equivalent Gigabit wired performance and, unlike the other options which are known for their stability and reliability, I could not guarantee the same about an Archer C7 (far too many hardware revisions to even begin).

You seem to be in the unfortunate position of not being able to change your modem with Rogers Internet, otherwise a DOCSIS 3.1 modem like the Motorola MB8600 would have been perfect.

• A. Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-4 + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. Extreme wired performance, average OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options, SOHO features like VLANs
  • B. Mikrotik hAP ac2/hex (RB750Gr3) + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. High wired performance, poor OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options, SOHO features like VLANs
  • C. Asus RT-AC86U + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. High wired performance, excellent OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options
  • D. TP-Link Archer C7 + 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite. Average wired performance, average OpenVPN performance, DFS, strong roaming options
Replace UAP-AC-Lite with TP-Link EAP225v3 if you want more ease of use (except for updates), but you lose DFS, strong roaming options and its controller software is less sophisticated and has less visibility into your network. Also, from what I can see on the Amazon.ca site, there's almost no difference in price between the two APs.

If you have a spare PC that runs all the time or minipc, you can get extreme OpenVPN performance (much higher than the RT-AC86U) and VPN performance in general. You can add this to any configuration above.

The cheapest option is B. The problem with B is that Mikrotiks are hard to configure and you cannot just put in third party firmware. The next cheapest is D, but you will not be able to achieve equivalent Gigabit wired performance and, unlike the other options which are known for their stability and reliability, I could not guarantee the same about an Archer C7 (far too many hardware revisions to even begin).

I actually have an older spare HTPC that I made years ago and don't use anymore. Is there a link to how to set this up to use for OpenVPN and/or other networking options?

How does the D-Link DIR-882L compare to the Archer and 86U options? I picked just picked one up from Staples as I wanted to try using it as an AP in lieu of the 7000.

Starting to wonder if I am just expecting too much from 2.4? I'm getting about 800mbps wired on the 882, but on 2.4 it drops to ~110mbps at 3 feet from router, then to 60 - 80 as I move over a few rooms. A tad better than the Netgear, but not much.

Is it normal to drop from 800 to 100 from wired to wireless?

Last edited:
Wireless speeds, depending upon environment and client devices, will not compare to wired LAN speeds. Wireless may see a cap at around 400-600Mb depending upon client device design and how it was set up for speeds. Not all wireless devices are the same. Wired LAN connections are always best to test with first to ensure your getting to spec ISP speeds.

I actually have an older spare HTPC that I made years ago and don't use anymore. Is there a link to how to set this up to use for OpenVPN and/or other networking options?

How does the D-Link DIR-882L compare to the Archer and 86U options? I picked just picked one up from Staples as I wanted to try using it as an AP in lieu of the 7000.

Starting to wonder if I am just expecting too much from 2.4? I'm getting about 800mbps wired on the 882, but on 2.4 it drops to ~110mbps at 3 feet from router, then to 60 - 80 as I move over a few rooms. A tad better than the Netgear, but not much.

Is it normal to drop from 800 to 100 from wired to wireless?

Wireless speeds, depending upon environment and client devices, will not compare to wired LAN speeds. Wireless may see a cap at around 400-600Mb depending upon client device design and how it was set up for speeds. Not all wireless devices are the same. Wired LAN connections are always best to test with first to ensure your getting to spec ISP speeds.

Thanks, was curious more to whether that kind of drop in 2.4ghz is "typical", i.e., from ~800 on wired to 100 on 2.4ghz while right in front of the router.

Wireless is going to be slower even at peak speed.

The Dell adaptor is a 2x2 device, I think

Ignoring Broadcom's proprietary modulations, on 2.4ghz, the max link rate you'll connect at is 300mbps. Giving a practical speed max of around 150mbps.

On 5ghz using AC, your max connect speed is 866mbps, giving max practical speed of around 400mbps.

That's all best case for peak speed from within your LAN (where the other side is connected to gigabit Ethernet)

It then starts to drop of with weaker signals.

Yes, again it depends upon the wireless client device and how it's designed. Wired will be always better performing than wireless. 2.4Ghz especially since it maxes out at 40Mhz channel width. If your getting near or to spec speeds on wired, I would not worry too much about wireless. Check with the Mfr of each of your wireless device to see what they support as far as thruput speeds and connection rates.

Looks like I can get the Asus RT-AC86U on sale right now. Is there any advantage/disadvantage of going with a second Asus Router (maybe a less expensive 68U for instance) for the AiMesh feature vs the Ubiquiti AC-Lites or EAP225v3?

Last edited:
The AIMesh firmware is, so I hear, still a work in progress. Then again, if AIMesh doesn't work out, you could just use the second router (or even one of your R7000s) as an access point. You give up centralized control and maybe worse roaming performance... but it should still fundamentally work.

Note that the most popular cheap version of the AC-68U is actually the T-Mobile AC1900, which tend to sell very cheaply.... but these don't support AIMesh. There's a way to flash them to support it, but that's not supported or endorsed by Asus or by RMerlin here on the forums.

Thanks, picked up the AC86U. Similar to the D-Link 882, gave me marginally better range on wirless (debatable as my wireless is relatively unstable at the best of times), but otherwise wireless performance is the same as my r7000's.

Doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to having the AC86U over the R7000, unless I'm missing something? Would rather take the $200 spent there and eventually go down upgrade path A mentioned above, or just keep the R7000 as my router and purchase 2 or 3 EAP225v3's or Ubquiti Lites (wish they came in a similar form factor as the EAP225v3 though as I will be mounting to walls and the Ubiquiti's look like flying saucers with lights!). So may just return the Asus.

Not sure if I need the Edgerouter ER4 vs say the Lite or some other version (the 4 is quite expensive in Canada). I can try to figure out how to use my spare old HTPC as an OpenVPN server.

You can sort routers by performance here to help choose what you want: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

WiFi is blocked by physical stuff and other wifi signals, so it is possible you just live in a busy place. The best way to get around WiFi speeds being too slow is a USB Ethernet adapter connecting your computer directly to your modem. You can also get powerline ethernet adapters if you can't run a cable. Or a higher performance USB wifi adapter with bigger antennas.

Mesh slows wifi down, so you don't want anything to do with that. Mesh is for retrofitting old homes with no work or expertise.

Thanks, as noted I'm going with the EAP225 access points. Really just wondering if there is any reason to spend $200 on the 86U right now simply as a router (no wifi). I think the answer is no, in that my R7000 provides 800-950Mbps wired speeds and I don't really use it for much else, plus has pretty decent non-OEM firmware support (though DD-WRT slows it down to ~300Mbps wired speeds from what I can tell so I don't bother with that).

Thought I'd update this thread. Ended up buying 4 EAP225v3's at ~CAD$79 each, and am now using one R7000 purely as a router. Still figuring out the best placement across the house and cabana, but wow...the speeds are now averaging 250-350 down in most locations, with the lowest locations being 50 or so and where I need to think about placement a bit more. Haven't actually placed the 4th one yet, trying to use the Omada Controller's "map" feature to find the best coverage locations without too much overlap, but still a bit confused as it relates to upper and lower floors sort of thing and impact on 2.4ghz.

Looks like the new EAP225v3 also has 11k/v roaming capabilities added which I guess the v2 version didn't.

Also, looks like it simply broadcasts a single SSID, so haven't figured out how my clients know which to connect to sort of thing.

But love the speed differences thus far!

Also figuring out that many of the connections the builder put in my house have poor cabling as I test them with my tester (e.g., get 6 of the 8 signals sort of thing), so that was likely impacting speed as well and am fixing those as I go along.

Curious.. If I didn't want to splurge on the edgerouter 4, which edgerouter would you recco next?

Just bumping the question above.

Wondering if an ER-Lite would be more than sufficient for my needs, or even an ER-X?

Also, how would OpenVPN performance be on say a Raspberry Pi 3?