What's new

CPU Pinning On RT-AC3100 After A Few Hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Parallax Abstraction

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I'm hoping someone has a solution to this. I tried searching but didn't find anything.

I have a new RT-AC3100 that I just setup the other day with 384.19. Nothing fancy configured on it and the RT-AC3200 it replaced had the same setup (I didn't restore a backup, I reconfigured the same settings from scratch.)

The problem I'm having is after a few hours of being powered on (usually between 6 and 12), my wi-fi performance goes to borderline unusable. I went into the router setup and discovered that the CPU is being basically pinned out when this happens. Restarting the router resolved it for another few hours but then the issue returns. Normally, I'd just wipe the setup and configure it again but I literally just set it up and it started doing this pretty much immediately.

Does anyone know what this might be and how I can resolve it? Thanks! :)

I am using the same as my main - 3100. I am not using .19 but I am using .15 without any issues. I have a full config with over 20 devices attached and running AiProtect, Diversion, Scribe, SkyNet, DaveQoS, etc. CPU is under 50% all day. I was using my 3100 as my node but I just swapped places with my 86u this week to see how this looks like. My 3100 runs better as my main- sadly. YMMV.

@Parallax Abstraction if you flashed 384.19_0 firmware without fully resetting the router afterward (see the M&M Config in the link below), that could be the issue right there.

If you also 'blindly' copied the settings that worked on the old router to this one, it could similarly cause issues.

The suggestions below may help and if they don't, I would suggest doing a full reset of the network and router to get you back to a good/known state.

Hey all. Turns out the new post e-mails went to my spam folder so I didn't know anyone responded. :/

So yea @L&LD, factory resetting the router and redoing the settings again seem to have done the trick. I did this last night and it's been running fine all day. Watch, it'll break again 5 seconds after I hit submit. :) I've never had to reset the router again after flashing in Merlin before but I'll be making a point to do that in the future as I regularly sell ASUS routers to clients.

Thanks for the help everyone!