1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Cpu temperature

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by EventPhotoMan, Aug 9, 2018.

1. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Regular Contributor

I’m always sitting at 92 degrees.

Concerned I am.

I do have almost all options turned on like QOS

Any suggestions? RT-AC86U

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. skeal

skeal Very Senior Member

Buy a laptop cooler or hot glue a small case fan to it. Really helps. If you search Amazon for ac68u cooler you will see the rig I have!

4. Twiglets

Twiglets Regular Contributor

I got one of these:

ELUTENG USB Fan 120mm Computer Fans USB Powered 54.56CFM 1500RPM PC Fan with Metal Grill Guard 5V/0.32A USB Case Fan for Laptop/TV Box/AV cabint/PS4/xBox 12cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XD9JBMB/

[​IMG]

Works very well, used plastic ties to hold it on ..... so no damage to router !!!

In hot badly ventilated room temps for 56u router went from 82C to 57C !!!

[BTW the router was running with no problems at the high temps for over 1 year BUT thought it was about time to cool things down when the 'Heatwave' happened, here in the UK. :) ]

P.S. Set fan to blow air into router NOT suck air out !!!

5. st3v3n

st3v3n Senior Member

EventPhotoMan, For a long while we've used a silent 6" AC fan, 6 inches to a foot on either side of any router we've had, to push the air flow over, around/through the router. We're usually running at a steady 42.43 degrees, up to 50 on a really hot day, with, 2 concurrent OpenVPN tunnels running. Before using this fan, the router was much hotter. We can easily clean both side of the fan blades each month when we clean all of the gear. and can re-position the fan when needed without having to disassemble the router/fan, without any vibration or magnetic/radio frequency issues induced, as has happened when some lean toward using cheap cheap fans. Cheers.

skeal likes this.
  6. EventPhotoMan

Thank you. all

7. EventPhotoMan

Makaveli likes this.
  8. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

HuskyHerder, SMS786 and Grisu like this.
  9. skeal

skeal Very Senior Member

Makaveli and EventPhotoMan like this.
  10. EventPhotoMan

11. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Grisu likes this.
  12. OKLY

OKLY Occasional Visitor

My room temperature is usually around 30c and my AC86U's CPU temperature will hover around 76-78c.

13. EventPhotoMan

My room temperature is 21 degrees celcius.

14. EventPhotoMan

15. EventPhotoMan

I added a fan today... by www.artic.ac called Breeze Mobile (mobile USB fan)

I’m watching my cpu temperature drop from 92 degrees Celsius to 58 degrees.

16. EventPhotoMan

PS it’s super quiet for 11$ Canadian.

17. EventPhotoMan

18. skeal

skeal Very Senior Member

If you check the small amount of power these things used you wouldn't be worried. If someone has a unassisted drive connected also then maybe you may have problems. But the one I showed does not have to be plugged into the router it just shows it that way as a convenience.

thelonelycoder likes this.
  19. st3v3n

st3v3n Senior Member

Good photos to add to the trove. Re Skeal's post, it's always a hoot to see that amz link pop up again. Judging by the lack of buyers for that unit, one would think twice, but there's always a way to part the uninitiated from their bucks when they don't know. That was merely a playful reference to 'unsophisticated' buyers/users, so no flames, please:) Most here don't fit that category and aren't as thin skinned and can take small jests in good humor.

I reckon if the power draw isn't as much as the combined current used by a couple of docked 2.5 or 3 inch drives, or a USB flash drive and something on the order of a My Passport 3.0 USB drive, you shouldn't risk overloading the PSU. With any of the inexpensive stuff, the electrical specs are questionable testing prior to plugging it into your precious Asus router is advisable. The sub-$10 AC fan plugged into the wall has made sense. Currently running 2 OpnVPN concurrent tunnels, only 6 devices per temps on the the photo. Cheers all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 5:35 PM
  20. EventPhotoMan

Just another note....

The importance of placing your router as the manufacturer says.

I had 7dbi antennas on my ty-AC86U router on a shelf , the shelf is high in my office, and the router with the extra length antennas hit the ceiling. So I laid the router down horizontally and bent the antennas to go vertically.

Now that the shorter antennas are back on ( moved the antennas to another access point) the router it vertical.

With no fan...

The routers cpu temperature was 92-93, and in the vertical position it dropped to 82.

Just saying...

With the fan, in down to 55 degrees

No issues with power either and it’s the second device drawing power too.

21. snakebite3

snakebite3 Senior Member

I'm using a thermal take 120mm.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OJN250/?tag=snbforums-20

It gets the job done. The problem is fan uses sleeve bearings. I don't it's durable. I wanted high quality fluid bearing fan. Noctua recently make 5V USB fans. I'm not sure how to mount one.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!