What's new

Create aiMesh system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maghuro

Very Senior Member
Dear all,
I'm about to buy one Lyra Mini (or an old AC66U wich the seller says it has some problems with 2.4ghz band).
But let's supose I buy Lyra.
If I connect Lyra with ethernet cable and at the same time to my existing AC86U via aiMesh, will it automatically choose the best, quickest and most reliable way to connect to main router? Or will I have manually to assign to use ethernet or wifi?

Second question - the allegedly 2.4ghz broken AC66U - the seller says that sometimes the 2.4 band works well, but other times it keeps trying to connect and doesn't connect (but 5GHZ band works ok).
Is it maybe hardware problem or is it any known issue, quickly solved by using merlin firmware?

Thanks in advance

You can choose “auto” and it will select wireless or Ethernet backhaul
Or you can choose “wired” and it will always use Ethernet if it’s available.

I have all of my nodes set to Wired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AiMesh can create a single, house-wide network name so there’s no need to constantly switch between networks as you roam around your home. AiMesh keeps an eye on the signal strength to your device, and switches it seamlessly to another source if necessary. If you prefer separate network names for each frequency band, you can do that as well — AiMesh is designed to work the way you want!

https://www.asus.com/microsite/AiMesh/en/index.html

No way for us to know what the issue is with 2.4 band on that router. You can try difrent firmware and see if it fixes the issue, or it could be a hardware issue. You'll have to test it.

You can choose “auto” and it will select wireless or Ethernet backhaul
Or you can choose “wired” and it will always use Ethernet if it’s available.

I have all of my nodes set to Wired

That's the answer I was looking for :)
"Backhaul" means something like failover, correct?

My "wired" connection is an old TP-link 200mb powerline, which can barely send 20-30mb, so maybe the wifi signal will be used.

As Lyra Mini doesn't have support for Merlin, will the aiMesh work between Merlin and non-Merlin firmware?

Just to clarify - Lyra Mini is supposed to be a regular router, or only kind of an Access Point?

Thanks!

AiMesh can create a single, house-wide network name so there’s no need to constantly switch between networks as you roam around your home. AiMesh keeps an eye on the signal strength to your device, and switches it seamlessly to another source if necessary. If you prefer separate network names for each frequency band, you can do that as well — AiMesh is designed to work the way you want!

https://www.asus.com/microsite/AiMesh/en/index.html

No way for us to know what the issue is with 2.4 band on that router. You can try difrent firmware and see if it fixes the issue, or it could be a hardware issue. You'll have to test it.

That part I know! :)

Yeah... I just asked because maybe it could be some known issue, but in that case it must be an hardware issue.
20€ for a maybe broken 2.4GHZ AC66U or 50€ for a Lyra Mini, i think i'll choose Lyra. Do you agree?

Backhaul is the connection from the AP node to the main router.

If your powerline is offering only ~30mbps then definitely wireless should be better assuming it gets reasonable signal. I also use powerline for backhaul but I am getting 300-500mbps so it beats the Wifi.

I would suggest you don’t even bother connecting the Ethernet on the Lyra and just let it do AiMesh 100% wirelessly.

The Lyra mini is probably more suited to being the AP and not the main router as you say.

And yes, mix Merlin+Stock will be fine. Just make sure you are using latest versions of both so you get the same AiMesh code running on each device.

I have read Lyra aren’t v good or reliable but if it’s cheap you are after I won’t argue.

Thank you all for your help!
I think I'll go to the broken AC66U router, because all my devices use 5GHZ band!
So not a big deal.

Reactions: JDB
I think I'll go to the broken AC66U router, because all my devices use 5GHZ band!
So not a big deal.

Just keep in mind that AiMesh will use 2.4 and or 5 as backhaul depending on conditions, so if the 2.4 is not working the mesh may not work/be stable

Dear all,
I'm about to buy one Lyra Mini (or an old AC66U wich the seller says it has some problems with 2.4ghz band).
But let's supose I buy Lyra.
If I connect Lyra with ethernet cable and at the same time to my existing AC86U via aiMesh, will it automatically choose the best, quickest and most reliable way to connect to main router? Or will I have manually to assign to use ethernet or wifi?

Second question - the allegedly 2.4ghz broken AC66U - the seller says that sometimes the 2.4 band works well, but other times it keeps trying to connect and doesn't connect (but 5GHZ band works ok).
Is it maybe hardware problem or is it any known issue, quickly solved by using merlin firmware?

Thanks in advance

I will not be surprised if you can not add the 66U to the AiMesh if it has a WiFi problem, no matter the wired backhaul.

Me, I wouldn't bother with Lyra nor a broken 66U.

OE

So not a big deal.

Or get an Asus 1900 T-Mobile router (which is a AC68 with T-Mobile firmware) on Craigslist or Ebay for around $50 and convert it to full fledged AC68 router.

I will not be surprised if you can not add the 66U to the AiMesh if it has a WiFi problem, no matter the wired backhaul.

Me, I wouldn't bother with Lyra nor a broken 66U.

OE
So are you saying Lyra is not good also?

Another question, I'm buying an AC66U good.
My main router will be AC86U and AC66U the secondary
I'll install Merlin on secondary also.
Those scripts I have on main router (diversion, freshqos, etc...), Do I have to install them on secondary one? Or the secondary will act somehow like an AP and I don't need to install it?
Sorry for those questions, but I do not know aimesh system very well.

66 won’t need any scripts etc, it’s just an AP

Another question, I'm buying an AC66U good.
My main router will be AC86U and AC66U the secondary
I'll install Merlin on secondary also.
Those scripts I have on main router (diversion, freshqos, etc...), Do I have to install them on secondary one? Or the secondary will act somehow like an AP and I don't need to install it?
Sorry for those questions, but I do not know aimesh system very well.

No need to install anything on AC66, if its connected to LAN port or via Wifi to AC86.
Just set AC66 as Access Point and you are done.

If AC66 is connected directly to the ISP router/modem, than you will have to install Diversion and what ever other scripts you use on AC86.

Last edited:
So are you saying Lyra is not good also?

No, I would just say it's a niche product to begin with that may not get much love from Asus, and now its used so may have issues or no support... I'd rather go a more certain route for networking since so much depend on the network being solid and maintainable.

Also, note that an AC66U is not an AC66U B1. I think only the B1 supports AiMesh and is often recommended for inexpensive/capable AiMesh node duty.

OE

Last edited:
Or get an Asus 1900 T-Mobile router (which is a AC68 with T-Mobile firmware) on Craigslist or Ebay for around $50 and convert it to full fledged AC68 router.

That is unsupported, illegal, and even if you may get it to work, it may break at any moment as Asus are implementing various counter measures to prevent people from doing that.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/snbforums-policy-on-asus-tm-ac1900-conversion-discussion.46018/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

That is unsupported, illegal, and even if you may get it to work, it may break at any moment as Asus are implementing various counter measures to prevent people from doing that.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/snbforums-policy-on-asus-tm-ac1900-conversion-discussion.46018/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/

*waves* Hey Merlin, its been a long time.

Yes, I have read your sticky post. I know.
But I have done it on two routers with success . There are guides out there that even Asus counter measures don't work.

I am running your firmware ... with no issues.

Is it illegal?? According to which law/s??
I own the device, so as far as I know, from legal perspective, I can do what ever I want with my router. If Asus wants to take me to court and give me a life sentence, ... I welcome it.:)

P.S.
Thank you for your hard work. After all the years, you still making firmwares.

No, I'm would just say it's a niche product to begin with that may not get much love from Asus, and now its used so may have issues or no support... I'd rather go a more certain route for networking since so much depend on the network being solid and maintainable.

Also, note that an AC66U is not an AC66U B1. I think only the B1 supports AiMesh and is often recommended for inexpensive/capable AiMesh node duty.

OE
Nice catch before I buy ! Thanks - how can I see if it is a B1 version? Or how can ask the seller to see?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!