What's new

Create Wireless network that can accommodate 50 users

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neerad Kumar

New Around Here
My requirement is to create a wireless network to accommodate 50 users with low cost. General consumer routers support maximum of 30 users.

If I need to use Microtek's routerboard, there is no clear documentation as to how many users it would support.

If I have to use access points, most of them are very costly which would increase my budget manifold

Enterprise routers of CISCO are very costly ~ 1000$

Suggestions on any existing router or any development boards or any other solution are welcome :)

The basic solution is to use more than one access point. Wireless routers and access points can connect more then 30 devices. The problem is they run out of bandwidth due to client mix. Slower devices eat up the bandwidth.

What are the typical usage patterns expected?

Checking email and Web usage like a restaurant offering client wifi?

Or more like an office setting with apps? If an office why not go ethernet?

My requirement is to create a wireless network to accommodate 50 users with low cost. General consumer routers support maximum of 30 users.

If I need to use Microtek's routerboard, there is no clear documentation as to how many users it would support.

If I have to use access points, most of them are very costly which would increase my budget manifold

Enterprise routers of CISCO are very costly ~ 1000$

Suggestions on any existing router or any development boards or any other solution are welcome :)
Just use 2+ consumer Access Points (APs). Put each on non-overlapping channel frequencies, both bands. ASUS low cost routers have an AP mode as do o9thers. Microtek is a science experiment, if you wish.

What is the WAN speed? That dictates what class router you need (one router, many APs, where APs provide capacity and/or coverage increases).

two dedicated AP's - and a decent router - someone mentioned Microtik... that's one, another would be the EdgeRouter Lite, which is perhaps a bit easier to work with (Microtik has lots of knobs/levers and one needs to have a good foundational knowledge of routing to make the most of it).

If this is a small business - I would suggest staying away from consumer gear - while inexpensive compared to what I mention above, it's false economy.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!