What's new

Creating a Virtual Port / Network Bridge of a remote nic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Austin Reed

New Around Here
I am trying to use Rita to do beaconing analysis, unfortunately, it is only available for Ubuntu and CentOS. I have a network tap setup that is connected to a monitoring port on a linux machine and I would like to be able to use that port on my laptop which I'll image with Bacbox (ubuntu). Since Rita looks for a physical port on install so I can't just forward pcap files is there a way to mirror/bridge the port on my server to the laptop over ethernet? I thought about just getting an ethernet splitter to connect to the tap but that won't be capable of GB speeds and the server is at full load so I can't utilize its os. I also looked into using a VM and that won't work either.

How about, instead of a port splitter, using a port mirror on a managed enterprise switch, which will run at gigabit speed? It doesn't have to be spendy, like a used HPE 2520 or 2530 off FleaBay, or similar.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!