What's new

cross compiling for asuswrt-merlin / Asus AC68-U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

synfinatic

New Around Here
I have some open source code (written in Go, linking to libpcap) that I'm building for a variety of hardware & operating systems. I have a user using asuswrt-merlin on a Asus AC68-U getting errors because when I build for Linux/ARMv7 I'm building on Ubuntu 20.04 which has a more modern glibc which requires a Linux kernel >= 3.2.0. So the user gets an error saying that the kernel is too old to run the binaries I build.

Was hoping there was a docker image or VM image or docs or something, anything which might explain how to end up with a tool chain which can cross compile for this platform? My ARM binaries work fine on more modern Linux systems (and FreeBSD) so I've already got this mostly working.... just not for a 2.6 kernel.

This has been a popular script to setup a Merlin build environment.

Another example with a Debian Live CD (just to give you more ideas):

This has been a popular script to setup a Merlin build environment.

Another example with a Debian Live CD (just to give you more ideas):
I'd say the script amcfwm works very well.

Okay... so looks like the main shell script is cloning this git repo: https://github.com/RMerl/am-toolchains any chance anyone has a copy of the script(s) used to build these binaries? I need to make a small change...
The following post suggests that vendors don't compile their own toolchains: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/arm-toolchains-with-nptl-for-asuswrt-merlin.27938/

That said, I think you could look at either, Tomatoware (native compiler and statically linked libraries) or Entware (cross-compiler and dynamically linked libraries), for a modern Buildroot.