What's new

Curiosity question, WiFi Data rates...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carvwa

New Around Here
Just curious, it is best practice on enterprise systems to remove lower data rates (such as 1&2 mbps, even 5.5 for 2.4, and up to at least 12 mbps for 5 gHz).

Is that possible on any (or Asus) consumer device? I've never really though about it before.

I see no reason to do that, especially as link rate is dynamic based on power management. 5 GHz clients for instance tend to drop to 6 Mbps while idling.

On a consumer device there may not be a compelling reason. However it would give greater granular control. I guess a similar feature would be the cut clients at -70 etc.

One of the primary reasons is control frames are always transmitted at the "mandatory" rate, which is 1 & 2 Mbps for 2.4, I forget for 5, but its like maybe 6 or 12? Anyway...point is the radio slows down to the rate being transmitted, then has to wait for the entire signal to finish before speeding back up. Setting the mandatory rate to a higher rate forces the 1/2 Mbps to even as high as 11 Mbps. This further enhances your setup/breakdown, and transmit/wait times. Another side benefit is that it kicks clients off that are out of range of the higher data rates (making signal more predictably controllable.

Again, might be an overkill on consumer grade, but on high end systems it's not an option. So that's the peak of curiosity to see that was even feature-able. Would it be cool to have? Yup, would I ask someone to add it for cool factor? Nope. Would I pay extra for it? Probably not. BUT....if someone was on a mission and had to have it...I'd definitely use it.