What's new

custom ddns broken? can anyone confirm?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NErdgOd

Occasional Visitor
Model RT-AC68U
Firmware Version 384.8_2
Firmware Build Sat Dec 8 18:18:10 UTC 2018 merlin@bc4eef1
Bootloader (CFE) 2.0.0.6
(copied from system info)

steps to reproduce:
(clear jffs, reboot, initialize and ) setup router for access point, enable jffs custom scripts, and ssh, ssh to router and make /jffs/scripts/ddns-start script; for testing purposes ive been using this simple script (but neither the real or test script change the results):

#!/bin/bash
rm /jffs/scripts/ddns-ran
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
touch /jffs/scripts/ddns-ran

chmod a+x it,

Now set up custom ddns in WAN >DDNS (ive tried with no certificate and letsencrypt) and click apply.

at this point, my web gui does the applying screen with the animation indefinitely (ive left it for an hour) if you refresh it, a error message says "request error!, please try again" and the script never gets ran.

i noticed finally that the github site now says "Note: This might need to be revised following the switch to In-a-Dyn with version 384.7"

so is there a revision?
or is it just broken now? why would the switch to inadyn affect a script running?

also if the switch now doesnt support multiple ddns in a custom script then that like breaks my whole setup :/

I noticed my ddns has been broken since the change you mention. I’ve not looked into why yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have bash installed? What if you start your script with the more conventional
Code:
#!/bin/sh
And to be extra specific:
Code:
chmod u+x /jffs/scripts/ddns-start

I will try a normal shebang now that you mention it, however bash used to work just fine before I updated. And I've tried a bunch of variations of chmod, a+rx, 700, u+rwx. None of them made any difference

Model RT-AC68U
Firmware Version 384.8_2
Firmware Build Sat Dec 8 18:18:10 UTC 2018 merlin@bc4eef1
Bootloader (CFE) 2.0.0.6
(copied from system info)

steps to reproduce:
(clear jffs, reboot, initialize and ) setup router for access point, enable jffs custom scripts, and ssh, ssh to router and make /jffs/scripts/ddns-start script; for testing purposes ive been using this simple script (but neither the real or test script change the results):

#!/bin/bash
rm /jffs/scripts/ddns-ran
/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1
touch /jffs/scripts/ddns-ran

chmod a+x it,

Now set up custom ddns in WAN >DDNS (ive tried with no certificate and letsencrypt) and click apply.

at this point, my web gui does the applying screen with the animation indefinitely (ive left it for an hour) if you refresh it, a error message says "request error!, please try again" and the script never gets ran.

i noticed finally that the github site now says "Note: This might need to be revised following the switch to In-a-Dyn with version 384.7"

so is there a revision?
or is it just broken now? why would the switch to inadyn affect a script running?

also if the switch now doesnt support multiple ddns in a custom script then that like breaks my whole setup :/
Heh, I know custom ddns is working because I broke mine yesterday and just now realized what I broke (I accidentally overwrote the script!) and when I fixed it instantly worked.

So it's not broken.

Heh, I know custom ddns is working because I broke mine yesterday and just now realized what I broke (I accidentally overwrote the script!) and when I fixed it instantly worked.

So it's not broken.
it seems to be because im still getting "request error!" , what firmware version are you using?

There is no /bin/bash shell in the firmware.
i switched to a normal shebang; #!/bin/sh, same error on webgui, script not ran...

PS ive tried a normal DDNS option, i use google domains. works fine, letsencrypt succeeds and the record gets populated with the correct ip4 address. so DDNS IS working but custon ddns-start scripts are not working for me

@RMerlin is there a logfile for the webgui error im getting, or any other information i can provide (or look over myself)? if i have time ill go back a few versions and see if the script works? im at a loss.

it seems to be because im still getting "request error!" , what firmware version are you using?
Currently on Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9_alpha1-g951fac98d. I've used the previous 2 alphas, and 384.8 and 384.8_2 before that. They all worked.

However, I'm not using inadyn, I use dynu.com. That doesn't explain why your simple script doesn't work though ...

Currently on Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9_alpha1-g951fac98d. I've used the previous 2 alphas, and 384.8 and 384.8_2 before that. They all worked.

However, I'm not using inadyn, I use dynu.com. That doesn't explain why your simple script doesn't work though ...

inadyn is the software the webgui uses since 387.4 apparently (i believe it is also a service, so i see where the confusion may be,) tomorrow im gonna switch to a pre 387.4 firmware and see if my problem still exists.

just to be clear, im not saying the DDNS functionality of the firmware itself is broken, infact thats the only thing protecting me right now from an ip change, im saying the custom ddns option in WAN > DDNS seems to be not working any longer. if the case is that i need a custom conf for inadyn rather than a script now, hopefully i can still make it do two separate updates, one for ipv4 and ipv6. otherwise ill have to run two clients from opt or something?

inadyn is the software the webgui uses since 387.4 apparently (i believe it is also a service, so i see where the confusion may be,) tomorrow im gonna switch to a pre 387.4 firmware and see if my problem still exists.

just to be clear, im not saying the DDNS functionality of the firmware itself is broken, infact thats the only thing protecting me right now from an ip change, im saying the custom ddns option in WAN > DDNS seems to be not working any longer. if the case is that i need a custom conf for inadyn rather than a script now, hopefully i can still make it do two separate updates, one for ipv4 and ipv6. otherwise ill have to run two clients from opt or something?
Err, but I do use a script. dynu is not a built-in DDNS provider. I haven't touched any configuration for inadyn. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning?

Hm, then I have no clue what's going on. Or what iImay be doing wrong. Ar you compiling those alpha builds yourself or is there a place I can download a prebuilt? I can try and see if my problem still exists.

Could you by chance confirm your script is running by adding a line to touch /tmp/ddns-ran or something similar?

Hm, then I have no clue what's going on. Or what iImay be doing wrong. Ar you compiling those alpha builds yourself or is there a place I can download a prebuilt? I can try and see if my problem still exists.

Could you by chance confirm your script is running by adding a line to touch /tmp/ddns-ran or something similar?
I already have a logger command in there that is writing to syslog when it runs. :) It's working.

Alpha builds are available at: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download - click on Pre-beta test builds

Does the script run if you run in ssh:
Code:
service start_ddns
Also check that nvram matches what you intend in the GUI
Code:
nvram show | grep ddns
See if ddns_server_x is set to CUSTOM

Then check /tmp/syslog and your touch file after running the service command.

Me too.

The RT-AC68U behind another modem router (WAN IP 192.168.1.14, LAN IP 192.168.0.1), with 384.7_2 everything was ok (
Stato Internet: Connesso
WAN IP: 192.168.1.14
DDNS: ----.duckdns.org
), with 384.8_2 it says disconnect.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!