What's new

Custom DIY AP: mini-pcie wifi cards known to work well with hostapd?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justech

New Around Here
Hi all,
This is my first post. I apologize if a similar question has been asked, but I could not find one using the search function.
I was hoping for some advice. I am currently in the process of dumping my ISP's router and building a small custom network. The project is almost completed.
I am working on the last piece of the setup, the Access Point. The AP is a laptop with a couple of router class mini-pcie cards in it, running on a linux distro. It was a somewhat painful process to get to this point.
Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone was doing something similar and could recommend some mini-pcie cards that perform well with hostapd or has other suggestions? I'm nearly up and running at this point, but I'm wondering, if things don't work out the way I expect, if there are other cards I should look into? I am interested in any N and AC cards that you have experience with that you know to function well on a linux box.

Thanks in advance for anyone with input!!

you should look at mikrotik, they have access points with mini PCIe that let you add mini PCIe cards or even other things. The other thing is that routerboards would have better rf design as well and use less power than a laptop.

There are also embedded designs that feature mips/arm with mini PCIe too meant for you to insert cards.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!